Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Banned
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents,

Not interested in the search function. Curious for everyones take on my direct situation.

18 with 50K on it. I recently ran my longest oil interval at 10,000. Blackstone says all is well and run it another 2K. I run mostly highway, currently about 140 miles per day everyday a week. But I do work construction so my truck is exposed to extra idling at times and some short trips.

If Blackstone gives me the all clear, is there anything you can’t measure that might sway when to dump the oil? I’m not going to keep wasting money on analysis if I’m not going to listen to them, and I‘d like the take of some more experience people. Many thanks

·
Registered
891 Posts
Hard to argue with empirical oil analysis. Anything anyone else could offer would be anecdotal. I think you answered your own question: you're paying for their service, so heed their recommendation.

·
Registered
62 Posts
How come we can go 10-15k between changes. Just seems wrong. Is it the synthetic oil?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,647 Posts
Gents,

Not interested in the search function. Curious for everyones take on my direct situation.

18 with 50K on it. I recently ran my longest oil interval at 10,000. Blackstone says all is well and run it another 2K. I run mostly highway, currently about 140 miles per day everyday a week. But I do work construction so my truck is exposed to extra idling at times and some short trips.

If Blackstone gives me the all clear, is there anything you can’t measure that might sway when to dump the oil? I’m not going to keep wasting money on analysis if I’m not going to listen to them, and I‘d like the take of some more experience people. Many thanks
If the sample says keep going, do just that. Lots of big trucks do just that.

·
Trying to learn
7,909 Posts
How come we can go 10-15k between changes. Just seems wrong. Is it the synthetic oil?

Why does it seem wrong to go 10-15K OCI?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Why does it seem wrong to go 10-15K OCI?
I guess everything I've ever had was a 3000-3500 OCI.

Also, what oil should I be using? Bought mine from a ford dealer and they put in 15w-40 motocraft. I'm sure conventional. If dino 15w-40 needed changes every 3500 in my 7.3 powersmoke how can the cummins be kewl for 10-15k miles?

Side note: less than 1000 miles on the oil and it's already black. My powersmoke is still like honey after 1000 miles.

·
Trying to learn
7,909 Posts
If dino 15w-40 needed changes every 3500 in my 7.3 powersmoke how can the cummins
Apples to oranges.

3500 miles is a holdover from 40 years ago.
Black oil is not really a sign of oil needing to be changed.

There are lots of posts here about going 10k+ miles on OCI and they have no issues.
longest oil interval at 10,000. Blackstone says all is well and run it another 2K.
This tells you it is ok

·
Registered
18,515 Posts
Also, what oil should I be using? Bought mine from a ford dealer and they put in 15w-40 motocraft.
You probably should use 5W-40 instead, according to the manual.
But that would also depend on whereabouts you live.

Reactions: 2017-3500

·
Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi
9,216 Posts
search gif - Off-Topic - World of Warships official forum

First things first, don't waste everyone else's time when you just want to be lazy

Evidently you couldn't be bothered to read your manual either that states 15,000 miles oil changes are fine. So not surprised blackstone looked at it and said you are golden to keep on keeping on

Why would any of our opinions be better then that of the oil lab's? they literally deal with this every day, they know more about oil and usage then 99% of the people on the internet. Not only did you deliberately set out to ignore the search feature, but you already had an answer from an expert that is very well respected everywhere you go, and then come on here looking for a different answer? I'm guessing you already made up your mind you aren't comfortable reading the manual, listening to factory recommendations, or listening to the oil experts. With that being the case, do what you wanna do, 15k interval is factory recommended. if you are worried about that interval, due an oil analysis. and if all else fails, ask the internet for reasons to ignore the oil analysis and do shorter intervals because 50 years ago a 3 month 3,000 mile interval was the norm.

·
Registered
6,647 Posts
I guess everything I've ever had was a 3000-3500 OCI.

Also, what oil should I be using? Bought mine from a ford dealer and they put in 15w-40 motocraft. I'm sure conventional. If dino 15w-40 needed changes every 3500 in my 7.3 powersmoke how can the cummins be kewl for 10-15k miles?

Side note: less than 1000 miles on the oil and it's already black. My powersmoke is still like honey after 1000 miles.

The 7.3 Powerstroke with the HEUI fuel system was very hard on the oil, that's why.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The 7.3 Powerstroke with the HEUI fuel system was very hard on the oil, that's why.
Yeah. That what I figured when I read about this 15k oil change thing. Same on the 6.7 powersmoke and my wife's audi. I naturally made the assumption that synthetic oil was involved then I see the cummins can run on dino 15w-40 (doesn't get cold in Savannah).

Would it be normal for my oil to be black after 1000 miles on the cummins? The dealer sent me the information saying they did an oil change but looking at the oil, I'm suspicious. My other cars the oil is like honey after 1000 miles.

What's up with the flaming on this board? Is that the norm?

3,161 Posts
What's up with the flaming on this board? Is that the norm?
If you make a post like TiBonefarmer's 1st post on this thread, you are going to get some push back!

1st his comment about not searching.

Then his location states he is from Canada but he posts his odometer readings without stating miles or KM.
Who know what he is talking about!

Keep it technical, keep it friendly. :)

Reactions: tryNto and Jimmy N.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have sent no less than a dozen samples to blackstone for various vehicles and they always come back saying to run it longer.
I got to a point of simply stopping waste my monies on their analysis and changing when I want. Oil is cheap!

if I went by the book and changed every 6 months like they demand, the oil in my truck currently with sub 300 miles on it but been in there for about 10 months would need to be changed..

As to why is it black so fast, EGR !!! get rid of the egr and the oil is remarkably clean for tons longer

that said I still change the oil at about 5000 miles running full synthetic, damn the timeframe and damn the 15k/6 month interval ram says

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have sent no less than a dozen samples to blackstone for various vehicles and they always come back saying to run it longer.
I got to a point of simply stopping waste my monies on their analysis and changing when I want. Oil is cheap!

if I went by the book and changed every 6 months like they demand, the oil in my truck currently with sub 300 miles on it but been in there for about 10 months would need to be changed..

As to why is it black so fast, EGR !!! get rid of the egr and the oil is remarkably clean for tons longer

that said I still change the oil at about 5000 miles running full synthetic, damn the timeframe and damn the 15k/6 month interval ram says
If it's black after 1000 miles no way I am waiting 15k more. Gonna order the filter plug on Amazon.

It was a ford dealership so I can't imagine they'd lie about the oil change.

Maybe I'll just let it go for another 1000 and change it for peace of mind. No way I'll go 15k. I change my 7.3 twice a year so maybe I'll just do once a year on the cummins.

·
9,216 Posts
Oil is hygroscopic. It will absorb moisture from the air when it sits. Thats why there is a time frame on oil, if a vehicle mostly sits around, the oil will get ruined based off of contamination rather then use. that is why there is a time frame, and a mileage reference point.

Comparing 7.3s Powerstrokes to 6.7s cummins isn't even in the same ballpark. Trying to claim they are just shows how ill informed you are

·
Registered
18,515 Posts
Oil is hygroscopic. It will absorb moisture from the air when it sits. Thats why there is a time frame on oil, if a vehicle mostly sits around, the oil will get ruined based off of contamination rather then use. that is why there is a time frame, and a mileage reference point.
In what way is the oil in machinery different, since it generally only needs to be changed based on operating hours?

And how come that in our FCA/Stellantis vehicles (gas and diesel) the oil supposedly goes bad in six months? According to Cummins an annual change is sufficient. And Porsches, which have fairly sophisticated engines, only have mileage based change intervals?

Besides, engine oil is supposedly not hygroscopic, but not fully warming then engine up will cause condensation. That's entirely different.
Other than to lure people into the dealerships, I see no reason whatsoever for 6-month oil changes, as long as the vehicle is treated correctly.

·
9,216 Posts
In what way is the oil in machinery different, since it generally only needs to be changed based on operating hours?

And how come that in our FCA/Stellantis vehicles (gas and diesel) the oil supposedly goes bad in six months? According to Cummins an annual change is sufficient. And Porsches, which have fairly sophisticated engines, only have mileage based change intervals?
A quick check on the Porsches shows that they are currently at 1 year, or 10,000 miles. And really Jimmy, comparing a gas engine to a diesel? You and me both know that while they are both internal combustion motors diesel tolerances and pressures are generally much tighter. Might as well bring up the "benefits" of doing extended oil change intervals in a HEUI injected diesel. (one such benefit, motivation to do a Cummins swap)

Besides, engine oil is supposedly not hygroscopic, but not fully warming then engine up will cause condensation. That's entirely different.
Other than to lure people into the dealerships, I see no reason whatsoever for 6-month oil changes, as long as the vehicle is treated correctly.
I've heard arguments for both that it is and isn't, but regardless like you stated, the engine not regularly reaching operating temperature will cause condensation to form inside the motor, creating water contamination in the oil. This can happen from a vehicle sitting, or from a vehicle not running long enough to reach operating temp. Another issue from sitting would be the oxidation of the oil. Oxidation can break down oils, modern synthetics are much more resilient to it then the old school dino oils were, which is part of the reason why synthetics last longer. But oxidation can increase the viscosity of the engine oil as well as contribute to build ups of sludge. And considering an oil change (strictly oil and filter, not anything fuel related) can be done for around $50 and less then a half hours work, it is cheap and simple insurance to guarantee the longevity of your vehicle.

The worst part is i know you know all of this, you just wanted me to say it so when EJ sees this thread he has something else to worry about, and he won't suspect you because you didn't say it....i see what you are doing

Oh You GIFs | Tenor

·
Registered
18,515 Posts
A quick check on the Porsches shows that they are currently at 1 year, or 10,000 miles.
Shows you how little I know about those things.
Either way, 1 year/10K miles is much more reasonable than the 6 months/6K, like FCA wants on some gassers.

Reactions: BrianF

·
9,216 Posts
Shows you how little I know about those things.
Either way, 1 year/10K miles is much more reasonable than the 6 months/6K, like FCA wants on some gassers.
Yes, 1 year 10,000 miles is better then 6 months and 6k miles, and that difference can easily come down to oil spec and build quality. Fiat has never really been at the same level as a Porsche. But at least comparing gas engine to gas engine is more comparable.

·
Registered
225 Posts
In fairness, ANY oil related thread, at ANY time, on ANY board, will get slammed.

Fact check: True :LOL:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts