Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
The LF16035 is a great filter but overpriced. I run the Hastings LF605 and its Baldwin brother. They are less than half the price, well built and specs are damn near what the Fleetguard is.
Really going to save maybe $10 on a filter for a $60K truck! :banghead:

Just to add the top filter is one that was on our 2016 Ram 3500 when we bought it, the bottom is the Fleetguard Stratopore that is going to replace it. As you can clearly see the supply holes are much smaller on the top filter.

·
Registered
813 Posts
A 10$ filter is just fine for this 60k truck. Just because it was expensive does not mean I need to be nickel and dimed to make it run. Many trucks in these parts ran their whole life on a lesser filter and faired out just fine. Perhaps it's the difference between 1.2 million miles and 1.195 million miles. Regardless, the truck will long rot away before I may see any oil related wear from running a quality filter that is does not have the level of mark up as the fleetguard line.

As stated, its specs are near what the LF16035 are. According to my used oil analysis, my cheap 10$ oil filter and 4.5$ a liter 10w30 are doing just fine in my 60k truck with lots of short trips, idle hours and bloody cold weather.

But please, tell me more? Amsoil perhaps? 5k change intervals? Maybe an overnight oil drain? Bypass filtration for all that soot loading?

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
As long as the inlet flow holes are adequate for the outlet flow port, all's well.

That really doesn't have any bearing on a filter's price/performance ratio though; for example, the $10 Fleetgard LF16035 has larger inlet holes than the $20 Amsoil EaO80 (made by Wix with Donaldson media), but doesn't flow as much volume, and doesn't filter as well either.

The Donaldson branded filters seem to provide superlative filtration for a single full flow canister, at a very reasonable price. Baldwin, Hastings & LuberFiner are an excellent balance between price & performance.

Filtration media seems to be a whole different ballgame.

"(insert brand name here) is the best filter" is a blanket statement at best.

Here's some flow/filtration data if you're interested - the LF16035 is decent enough, but nothing remarkable at all -

https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/general-diesel-discussion/2518581-donaldson-oil-filters.html

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
I don't use them all the time, but I will sometimes use the Mobil 1 Oil Filter. As good as it gets.

ExxonMobil has a Market Cap of 293 Billion Dollars and was, at one time, the largest and wealthiest company on the Planet. Only recently surpassed by Amazon and a couple of Tech companies (Apple, Alphabet, etc)

So if they offer the best they can offer, I'm going to assume it's pretty darn good.

And you can pick up an M1-403A at Wally World for $10

The reason I don't use them all the time is, I don't like the idea of my oil being 'super-filtered'. I use them once in a while.

I prefer volume over pressure. And..... Whatever. Everybody's different

·
Registered
13,745 Posts
I don't use them all the time, but I will sometimes use the Mobil 1 Oil Filter. As good as it gets.

ExxonMobil has a Market Cap of 293 Billion Dollars and was, at one time, the largest and wealthiest company on the Planet. Only recently surpassed by Amazon and a couple of Tech companies (Apple, Alphabet, etc)

So if they offer the best they can offer, I'm going to assume it's pretty darn good.

And you can pick up an M1-403A at Wally World for $10

The reason I don't use them all the time is, I don't like the idea of my oil being 'super-filtered'. I use them once in a while.

Comparison article on geno's website didn't rate the mobil 1 or K&N oil filters very highly at all.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Comparison article on geno's website didn't rate the mobil 1 or K&N oil filters very highly at all.
And I have a low opinion of K&N's air filters and a high opinion of their oil filters.

Like I said, I don't use them very often. Just once in a while.

And, one of his biggest beefs was with the cost. Maybe he should shop just a bit. And one of the filters got by the QC people? Like that never happens to the others?

As to the 'low flow' complaint? Huh? Some engineers believe that oil screaming through the filter doesn't get filtered very well. They believe that slowing it down just a tad allows the filtering element to do its job better.

I'm always open to learning and Diesel filtration is admittedly a different animal.

But, Geno's likes the Purolator the best and Purolator oil filters are almost universally reviled on BITOG (bob is the oil guy) as is the Purolator Boss.

I is confused..... Again

:confused013:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Here I was debating whether or not to remove the filter all together. I mean, if my ‘51 Kaiser didn’t come with a filter from the factory then my ‘16 Ram should be fine without one....

I love oil/filter/tire/maintenance interval threads. They usually contain a few snippets of quality information and lots of quality entertainment.

Carry on, ignore my meaningless comments. 🙂

·
Registered
12,241 Posts
I love oil/filter/tire/maintenance interval threads. They usually contain a few snippets of quality information and lots of quality entertainment.
Okay, here's my contribution to the entertainment part:

Changed the oil (and filter) for the third time on the '17 3500. The first was an early change, so it really doesn't count.

In almost a year, 6,278 miles, 106 driving hours, and one idle hour, the oil was at 59%.

In comparison, the prior change was 14 months, about 5,000 miles, 122/8 hours, and 55%.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I feel your pain as far as "super filtration" goes.

You're a first gen owner at heart, we make do with 25 micron fuel filter/separator units.

I've searched for a 40 micron fuel filter to provide more volume rather than psi, but no luck so far.

·
Registered
12,241 Posts
Two 25 micron filters plumbed in parallel would provide better flow and filtration.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Two 25 micron filters plumbed in parallel would provide better from and filtration.
Here's what else a prudent owner can do......

Pour a gallon of oil over your engine. Just in case you run low on oil in your crankcase someday.

I crack myself up :hehe::rof

·
Go Packers
6,033 Posts
Here's what else a prudent owner can do......

Pour a gallon of oil over your engine. Just in case you run low on oil in your crankcase someday.

I crack myself up :hehe::rof

Now that's an idea. Only thing I see wrong is the part where it drips on the concrete garage floor.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Haven't tried that yet, as I was aiming for 40; wouldn't two 25m filters give me 50m?

My headlamps spec that they work from 12-24 volts, but wiring up two 12 volt batteries in series resulted in, uh, an interesting outcome.

Two 25 micron filters plumbed in parallel would provide better flow and filtration.

·
Registered
12,241 Posts
It should cut the flow resistance in half. If you put them in series instead, the filtration will increase, but it'd also affect the flow rate.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Jimmy N, is that before or after you remove the oil pan during a cold oil change? I cant seem to figure you out.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
I feel your pain as far as "super filtration" goes.

You're a first gen owner at heart, we make do with 25 micron fuel filter/separator units.

I've searched for a 40 micron fuel filter to provide more volume rather than psi, but no luck so far.
Is the Oil Pressure sending unit before or after the Filter?

Because I kept an eye on the oil pressure and didn't notice any difference when running the Mobil 1. But I still wasn't crazy about the number (6) and smallish holes in the baseplate of the M1.

I think I'm gonna stick with Mopar Filters. Going down to the shop in a bit to see if they have time to change my oil and the filters.

First time we did it, we followed the directions and cycled the ignition several times. More than called for; then it didn't fire right away. Talk about 'pucker-factor'? Second time we turned it over, it fired right up. Somebody told me we probably drained too much of the fuel out of the front filter.

·
Registered
12,241 Posts
Jimmy N, is that before or after you remove the oil pan during a cold oil change? I cant seem to figure you out.
Funny that you mention that, Brian. The other day you wrote "overnight oil change" or something to that effect in a post.
Well guess what, as I read that my drain plug had been left off for the night.

No, not because I had planned it that way, but because I couldn't find my oil filters, so the whole procedure came to a lengthy halt.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts