Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I could search it. But I tried and it’s a million and one topics.

This will
Be my first oil change since I bought the truck and also fuel filter change.
Previous owner used k&n for oil filter.

I’m wondering what most are using?
For fuel filters for oil filter and what’s everyone using for oil?
We’re getting close to winter in northern Ontario Canada ans it’s common to see -20 celsius up to -40 celsius yes it’s [email protected] cold lol
It calls for 5-40 I believe but I’m unsure.
Thanks for the info

·
Registered
244 Posts
I did my first my oil and filter change a few days ago, I used a Fleetguard #LF16035.
I poured in Rotella T4 15-40 only because it was on sale at Sam's Club.
Oil is personal preference.

·
Registered
13,696 Posts
I know I could search it. But I tried and it’s a million and one topics.

This will
Be my first oil change since I bought the truck and also fuel filter change.
Previous owner used k&n for oil filter.

I’m wondering what most are using?
For fuel filters for oil filter and what’s everyone using for oil?
We’re getting close to winter in northern Ontario Canada ans it’s common to see -20 celsius up to -40 celsius yes it’s [email protected] cold lol
It calls for 5-40 I believe but I’m unsure.
Thanks for the info
OEM mopar or fleetguard for filters, oil, fuel and water separator.

For that cold climate, 5w40 synthetic, whichever brand you like, they are all good.

Tons of threads on here, lots of videos on youtube.

In the process of changing the oil in mine right now.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I run PetroCan Duron SHP 10w30 all year in Saskatchewan. Works just fine in this cold and hostile wasteland.

·
Registered
13,696 Posts
Mine's all done, bet that synthetic blend added 50 HP and will make it get 5 more MPG's! :D

·
Registered
810 Posts
And the Duron 10w30 is cheaper than the T5, Citgo and Motomaster 10w30, plus it out flows it in the cold. Its Approved CES20086 so whats not to love?

·
Registered
16 Posts
In that environment I would think 10w30 would be the way to go. Long as you use the LF16035 filter. I’m going to use the Mopar fuel filters. Haven’t had to change them yet.

·
Registered
810 Posts
The LF16035 is a great filter but overpriced. I run the Hastings LF605 and its Baldwin brother. They are less than half the price, well built and specs are damn near what the Fleetguard is.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I can get the Fleetgaurds for less than I can get the Mopar filters at Walmart. May be a regional thing since I’m closer to Mexico than you are. Hastings and Baldwin are both good filters.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Agreed on the overpriced for what they are.

I gave up on Fleetgards a long while back, after I determined that Donaldson SynTeqs culminated in a better oil analysis result.

The LF16035 is a great filter but overpriced. I run the Hastings LF605 and its Baldwin brother. They are less than half the price, well built and specs are damn near what the Fleetguard is.

·
Registered
567 Posts
are the mopar filters (fuel & oil) both made by fleetguard ? or by another manufacturer and branded mopar ?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have used -

- Mopar for OEM filter bracket.
- FASS for FASS fuel filter and water separator.
- Mopar, Donaldson and Fleetguard for oil.

Donaldson and Fleetguard seem good options and are much more common that Mopar throughout North and South America (Excluding USA and Canada and some of Mexico where I could easily get Mopar obviously)

·
White Lightning
12,018 Posts
are the mopar filters (fuel & oil) both made by fleetguard ? or by another manufacturer and branded mopar ?
Unsure on the oil filter, but as to the fuel filters:
  • The underhood / canister fuel filter is made by Fleetguard.
  • The rear separator is made by Parker / RACOR.

·
Registered
12,106 Posts
After somehow getting an overload after the 894,748 or so times I've read about this subject here on CF, I decided to use a mix of 36% fish oil, 56% margarine, and 8% dish washing soap (as a detergent).

As far as filters go, I'm still running the ones that came on my '17, but I hogged out their internals to promote flow.

Now I'm getting over 20 mpg towing 20,000 lbs. miles uphill, both ways. Any questions?

·
White Lightning
12,018 Posts

·
Registered
13,696 Posts
Now I'm getting over 20 mpg towing 20,000 lbs. miles uphill, both ways. Any questions?
Man! You must be driving between my childhood home and my grade school!

I had to walk 10 miles through the snow, uphill both ways, to school and back when I was a kid!:homer2:

1 - 20 of 52 Posts