Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Oil Catch Can Install, Will It Clear

1020 26
Just made a bracket, that mounts were the left rear engine lifting hook eye goes. I'm trying to install a vibrant oil catch can. With out engine in truck. Not sure if it will clear firewall etc.. Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bumper
Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Hood
Hood Automotive tire Wheel Bicycle Tire
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Automotive lighting
Automotive tire Crankset Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bicycle tire
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump. Someone must have 3rd gen that can take a look to see if it will clear. I like to start making the oil line's. From valve cover to oil catch can

· Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Font Auto part Art Drawing Line art

Found this picture. The torque converter oil cooler looks like it sit's lower. I have deleted the Torque Converter Oil Cooler. Looks like my oil catch can, sit's a little more forward than the torque converter oil cooler. My oil catch can, bracket I made, mount's too the rear engine lifting hook.

· Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what kind of valve cover do you have?
looks like wc style?
Its a Modified Factory Valve Cover. That's been hydro dipped in carbon fiber. I see you have a 2005 dodge. Can you look at your truck and tell me if the oil catch can will clear. Thanks.

4,457 Posts
Got Smoke, I'll be back home tonite and can take some measurements.

My manual trans 2004.5 still has the OEM fuel filter cannister but I too deleted that rear engine hook many years ago.
Hopefully it will be a valid comparison.

· Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got Smoke, I'll be back home tonite and can take some measurements.

My manual trans 2004.5 still has the OEM fuel filter cannister but I too deleted that rear engine hook many years ago.
Hopefully it will be a valid comparison.
Thanks that would be great.

4,457 Posts
So this is not so easy to compare.
That area is buried under the cowl when the engine is in the truck.

It looks like you changed things around? I would leave the engine hook off but it looks like you also removed the rear bracket that protects the #6 injector line.
I would leave that bracket installed as it protects the #6 injector line from damage in case of a front end collision.

It looks like there is lots of room in that area. There is a large harness that runs to the back of the cylinder head and then to the transmission connectors but that is easy to move around.
There is tons of room to the firewall and below that area to the starter far below.

Tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tread

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Auto part Nut

· Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So this is not so easy to compare.
That area is buried under the cowl when the engine is in the truck.

It looks like you changed things around? I would leave the engine hook off but it looks like you also removed the rear bracket that protects the #6 injector line.
I would leave that bracket installed as it protects the #6 injector line from damage in case of a front end collision.

It looks like there is lots of room in that area. There is a large harness that runs to the back of the cylinder head and then to the transmission connectors but that is easy to move around.
There is tons of room to the firewall and below that area to the starter far below.

View attachment 963185

View attachment 963186
Picture # 2 the number 6 fuel line hold down clamp. I measure from there and I'm 5-1/2" to outer edge of catch can. The head still has to go to the machine shop. The machine work on the block done.

· Registered
2016 Ram 2500 Tradesman
59 Posts
I know on my O5 there wasn’t enough room. All the electric connections hang off the firewall there. Then I tried to Mount it lower, but it was too low to get a good drain back. I ended up mounting it off the intake horn. Keep the filters clean if your running high boost, they spit all over the engine bay. Plus you smell it bad in the cab.

· Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I know on my O5 there wasn’t enough room. All the electric connections hang off the firewall there. Then I tried to Mount it lower, but it was too low to get a good drain back. I ended up mounting it off the intake horn. Keep the filters clean if your running high boost, they spit all over the engine bay. Plus you smell it bad in the cab.
It will fit.

· Registered
2016 Ram 2500 Tradesman
59 Posts
Good deal. Mine wouldn’t. But I also had a side draft intake. It was too low with the return drain to the block. Couldn’t get it high enough under the cowl with all the electrical plugs.
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Electrical wiring Automotive exterior

· Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good deal. Mine wouldn’t. But I also had a side draft intake. It was too low with the return drain to the block. Couldn’t get it high enough under the cowl with all the electrical plugs. View attachment 963211
Sweet engine. How did you the return fuel line from pressure relief valve or did you cap.

· Registered
2016 Ram 2500 Tradesman
59 Posts
I modified the line to the factory return port on the Fleece fuel block.

· Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Picture # 2 the number 6 fuel line hold down clamp. I measure from there and I'm 5-1/2" to outer edge of catch can. The head still has to go to the machine shop. The machine work on the block done.
I made another bracket for option # 2 for mounting oil catch can. But when I do a compound turbo setup, will it clear
Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Auto part Vehicle

1 - 20 of 27 Posts