Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into getting an oil by-pass system. I only use my truck as a daily driver and to haul my bike and quad. Is the by-pass system overkill or unnecessary? I plan on doing a transmission, TC, CP-3 and Twins in the future and i want to keep my engine as reliable as possible since there is no longer a warranty. Also I haven't had my ecm reflashed and ive had the truck for a little over a year so i dont even know what version it is running. Im running a black max so how would i go about having the lastest flash put on without messing up the black max or should i just stick with whatever flash is on there now?

·
Registered
553 Posts
The flash will not matter, the BM will just overwrite whatever flash they do. The flashes lately have only been for the emissions stuff.

·
Salty Squid
770 Posts
I would go with the bypass kit, or get one of the bypass all in on filters.

No such thing as going overboard on filtering stuff for your engine.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you plan on keeping the truck with high mileage, get it. If you want to extend your oil intervals, get it, if you want to save money on oil and less oil changes, get it.

Reason not to get it, STUPIDITY.
So your saying I should???? haha definately next mod on the list then.

I've been looking around it seems like 7500 miles is usually the "norm" for change intervals with the bypass? What is the best setup for the money to go with?

·
06 Cummins
1,621 Posts
If you are thinking twins down the road, get the BMK-25 from Amsoil. It's a dual remote, moves the stock oil filter and puts it together with a bypass filter. I have twins, getting to the oil filter from the top is no longer an option, and you have a tight access to the bottom side after a twin install. I installed the BMK-25 duall remote and LOVE it. Plus, you need to get all the soot out of the oil that you can, the soot will shorten your engine life.

I change my oil and primary filter at 7500 miles regardless of the system possibly adding longevity to the oil. I did not put the bypass in to add longevity to the oil life, I put it there to add longevity to the overall engine life, I change the bypass every other oil change.

CD

·
Registered
922 Posts
7500 miles seems like overkill. I run Rotella synthetic with a Fleet guard Strat filter and no bypass and change it at 10000 miles or one year. Granted that is with oil analysis being done at 5000 mile intervals, but I would think you could go farther with a good bypass kit. IMO

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Im all highway pulling heavy loads but I change my oil and filters at 40,000 mile intervals and my oil samples look great. Actually my samples say to continue usage. I just chage it at 40,000 miles.

There is NO REASON why these trucks shouldnt have a oil bypass system.

On my truck with a bypass and regualar oil, i can get 20,000 miles and oil samples say to continue.

·
06 Cummins
1,621 Posts
7500 miles seems like overkill. I run Rotella synthetic with a Fleet guard Strat filter and no bypass and change it at 10000 miles or one year. Granted that is with oil analysis being done at 5000 mile intervals, but I would think you could go farther with a good bypass kit. IMO

I should have mentioned that I am running the Valvoline Premium Blue and the 7500 mile oil change timeframe is the recommended timeframe for that oil by the manufacturer. I do oil sampling with every oil change, it always comes back telling me that I could extend the timeframe, I prefer not to.

Yes, you can go a lot farther in your change timeframes, but that was not my purpose when I installed the bypass. My purpose was just to have the cleanest oil possible/to control the soot in the oil.

CD

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What's everyones opinion on oils? Synthetic vs non synthetic, weight etc. when running one of these bypass's. I only have 16,700 miles on mine and dont do any heavy towing just my quad and bike.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
So your saying I should???? haha definately next mod on the list then.

I've been looking around it seems like 7500 miles is usually the "norm" for change intervals with the bypass? What is the best setup for the money to go with?
7500 is the norm running regualar dyno oil and a regular filter. I run amsoil 15w40 heavy duty diesel and marine with an amsoil eao80 filter with no bypass and do oil anaylsis through blackstone labs at 10k and they have been telling me to run 12-15k on my oil.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
What's everyones opinion on oils? Synthetic vs non synthetic, weight etc. when running one of these bypass's. I only have 16,700 miles on mine and dont do any heavy towing just my quad and bike.
I would run syn oil as it doesnt break down, just gets dirty. The majority of people that run bypass or long extended drain intervals run amsoil. I have ran amsoil in everything I own for the last 10years and have had positive results. If I were you I would run amsoil with their bypass, run and amsoil eao80 filter for your primary and an amsoil for your bypass possiby the 110 filter if you have room. Then send a sample off to blackstone at 10k and see what they say.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts