Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I’m opening a can of worms here but I can’t decide which oil to use. I had 4 changes from the factory then did rotella t4 on my last change. I’m having trouble finding oil that’s meets Both cj4 and ms 10902 or Cummins ces 20081. Our books say to use mopar or shell rotella but valvoline is endorsed by Cummins. Also I am having a hard time determining to use Dino or synthetic. I live in Southern California and the book only calls for synthetic if under 0 degrees. Truck is a 2017 2500 Cummins. Thanks guys. Fire away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
719 Posts
Use rotella 15w40 if you don’t get cold and use t6 5w40 if it gets cold where you are. I switch to 15/40 during the summer.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It gets down to the mid 20s at the lowest in the winter but that’s it. Never below 0. Should I stick with conventional or are most you guys running synthetic? I change ever 6 months. About 5-6k miles between changes

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also does anybody use mobil delvac 1300? It meets all certs and is really well priced at samsclub for me

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
It gets down to the mid 20s at the lowest in the winter but that’s it. Never below 0. Should I stick with conventional or are most you guys running synthetic? I change ever 6 months. About 5-6k miles between changes

Conventional is waste of money at 6k oil changes.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
719 Posts

20s Fahrenheit? I would use 0 Celsius as a cut off. So I think that’s 32 Fahrenheit.

I wouldn’t run delvac but that’s me. Tried it in my semi and didn’t like it. I strictly run rotella in them as well. Either 15/40 or 5/40 is fine. If your changing every 6k miles and 6 months then maybe synthetic would be a better choice.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why synthetic though. 5 k miles isn’t that much is it? I just do it every 6 months as the book calls for

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
20s Fahrenheit? I would use 0 Celsius as a cut off. So I think that’s 32 Fahrenheit.

I wouldn’t run delvac but that’s me. Tried it in my semi and didn’t like it. I strictly run rotella in them as well. Either 15/40 or 5/40 is fine. If your changing every 6k miles and 6 months then maybe synthetic would be a better choice.
I’ve been debating switching to rotella t6 but wasn’t sure if it was worth the extra money

·
Registered
51 Posts
I live in Socal and use 15/40. I buy the cheap delo at costco and have no issues.. I send my oil change samples to get tested after every oil change and havent had a issue with the cheap stuff..

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I live in Socal and use 15/40. I buy the cheap delo at costco and have no issues.. I send my oil change samples to get tested after every oil change and havent had a issue with the cheap stuff..
Ok good to know. I was just looking at that today too at sams

·
Registered
7,099 Posts
If your changing every 6k miles and 6 months then maybe synthetic would be a better choice.
You kind of have that backwards.

·
Registered
7,099 Posts
Synthetic is meant to last longer right.? Not break down as fast so you can run it longer ?

Correct. Better pour rate in the cold also. Your model year with less egr and warm climate you can go an easy 10000+ miles. On either oil. I do run synthetic Schaeffers. I change out at 10-12000 since deleted. Your 2017 has less EGR than the 2012 and older 6.7s Did the same with my 97 and has over 800,000 on it by now.
My opinion, My experiences. ;)

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Correct. Better pour rate in the cold also. Your model year with less egr and warm climate you can go an easy 10000+ miles. On either oil. I do run synthetic Schaeffers. I change out at 10-12000 since deleted. Your 2017 has less EGR than the 2012 and older 6.7s Did the same with my 97 and has over 800,000 on it by now.
My opinion, My experiences. ;)
Great to know thank you very much

·
Registered
400 Posts
There are several good oil choices to consider. I have a 2011 Ram 3500, completely stock with 74,900 on it. I use the Rotella T6 5-40 synthetic and either a Mopar or Cummins oil filter, no issues.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts