Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello people :hyper:
This will be my first oil change on my 2004 Dodge 3500. 5.9 24v that I am doing my self. Trying to save some :$:.
I did alot of oil changes on cars so I know my tools.
Is there anything special I need to know
about changing the fuel filter on this Bad Boy?
Thanks
Beefer
LET THE FUN BEGIN :beer

·
Registered
962 Posts
The fuel filter just drain it with the valve on the front, unscrew to with ratchet and socket I think it 1 1/8" , pop filter off, new one on, re screw the top on. click ignition over to on for 30 sec 3-4 times and then start is how I do it. Oil is standard but I use a 5 gallon bucket to catch the oil.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Fuel Filter

you just drain the system with the yellow handled valve..then take the top of the unit off(I think its a 1 1/8th inch socket..take the top off with filter attatched...I usually just top the container up with fuel from a small gerry can then reinstall the filter and housing(with new filter ofcourse)..I usually do a comfortable snug..a little mess but no air that way..takes about 5 mins...have fun!!

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Yellow handled valve? Most just have a plug on the bottom of the filter canister you have to remove to drain it. Then take the top off, change the filter, put lid on, turn key on a couple times and start. If it dies, just start it back up. It's really easy.

·
Registered
833 Posts
nope mines got a yellow handled valve that drains the fuel out of the canister...hmmm..maybe different from 04 to 03?

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
hmmm. Maybe?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Don't forget about the O-ring around the cover Of the housing. It will come with the new Fuel filter

·
Registered
454 Posts
My 06 has a yellow valve on the bottom of the fuel filter. Its supposed to be for the fuel/water seperator.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
yellow valve is for draining water between fill-ups and it also will drain the entire filter pod. i dont mess with turning key on and off 3 or 4 times after installing new filter. turn the key to "on" and go listen to your lift pump to stop charging. dont forget to close your bleeder valve first!

i add a extension to the bleeder hose to keep things clean, drain to a clear bottle to inspect fuel for crud
once the filters removed inspect inside the housing for anything that shouldnt be there, with the drain still open you can dump fuel in from top and flush it out thru the drain hose:thumbsup

keep it clean!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone
IT went smoothly,No problems.
Hey anyone here live around Liberty Center or Delta Ohio?
Beefer

1 - 12 of 12 Posts