Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did my oil change at 8240 miles and sent a sample to Blackstone Laboratories. The iron and copper were a little high, but I guess expected for a new engine. The tiny fuel dilution percent impressed me.

What I got from this is that I will stick to my personal routine of changing the oil at 7500 miles. Those of you that are going to 15,000 miles since new, imagine those iron particles swirling around your very expensive hydraulic lifter Cummins.

Next sample will be a comparison of whatever the factory fill was, versus Rotella T6.

Attachments

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Added the report as a picture for easier viewing.

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
I use Blackstone as well. The analysis is an extra comfort level on the condition of the power plant. I only have 3000 miles or so on my 2019, but I plan to do a change soon and get the Rotella T6 5w40 in it. The first oil change will always show higher wear products and I agree I would not wait 15k miles for the first oil change.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48 Posts
Same here, I'm going to do my first oil change soon, I'm at about 6400 right now and my oil change indicator says I'm only at 58%, which means it's projecting my first change to be at 11,000. For the first change I'm not comfortable with that. I'm surprised with about 2500 towing miles that my oil change interval is being calculated above 10k miles, I thought it would be well under.
QUESTION for you guys, what do you think about changing oil at 50% at home, NOT changing the oil filter, and then having dealer do oil and filter at 100%?

·
Registered
116 Posts
If you're concerned with the oil being that bad at that mileage it would only make sense then that the filter would be done too wouldn't it? I would change them together regardless of whatever milage you decided to do it.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Oil filters are cheap.

I think unless you've placed a big bet with someone that the truck will go over 700,000 miles that you're worries/efforts to extend engine life won't payoff. Follow the recommended maintenance schedule and your engine will be fine.

Reactions: chad4039
1 - 6 of 6 Posts