Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
What's a good oil additive to use? Heard good things about RevX but just wanted to get some opinions.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Get a bottle of Cam Shield... bottle size, 1 Shot, or larger, if preferred (Break-In/Racing type). Add one bottle (1 shot size) at each oil change. Just the right amount of zinc.

Yes the type for racing...... really helpful if you ever intend to run HD valvesprings.

Your tappets, camshaft, bearings etc. will thank you!:thumbsup:

·
vvv SOME PEOPLE'S KIDS vvv
11,105 Posts
Lucas zink additive is good stuff. Doesn't take but 8oz or so. I run it in my 04.5

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
Use a high quality oil and skip the additive band aids !!
We're not talking about magic additives that will make your engine do back-flips.:doh:

This is about useful additives that have been removed from today's motor oils, i.e.; zinc.....:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
i run hamiltons cam shield in mine just started using it. they removed the good stuff from the oil for the dpfs and emission garbage.

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
i run hamiltons cam shield in mine just started using it. they removed the good stuff from the oil for the dpfs and emission garbage.

Just a FYI......Hamilton's Cam Shield is Cam Shield brand, same bottle with Hamilton's name at the top.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
I posted a topic a week or so ago about ditching amsoil for cummins blue oil, but if zinc is a big deal I may just stick with amsoil marine oil with high zinc content.
That is good oil. They get away with the higher zinc content because it's Marine oil.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Get a bottle of Cam Shield... bottle size, 1 Shot, or larger, if preferred (Break-In/Racing type). Add one bottle (1 shot size) at each oil change. Just the right amount of zinc.

Yes the type for racing...... really helpful if you ever intend to run HD valvesprings.

Your tappets, camshaft, bearings etc. will thank you!:thumbsup:
Can I get it at O'reillys?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Trucks normally had regular Rotella 15w-40 but got the Rotella T6 synthetic this time and i'm gonna start running that. Any of y'all running it?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Omg, no off the shelf oil needs this crap to give a long life for your engine.

If You want higher zinc, higher TBN, etc. ...buy a oil formulated as such.. Amsoil AME 15-40 is just one example.

·
vvv SOME PEOPLE'S KIDS vvv
11,105 Posts
Omg, no off the shelf oil needs this crap to give a long life for your engine.

If You want higher zinc, higher TBN, etc. ...buy a oil formulated as such.. Amsoil AME 15-40 is just one example.
Zinc is needed for an aftermarket cam. I'll bet Amsoil doesn't have the amount of zinc that most cam builders require to increase the life of the cam.

And for the price of Amsoil per qt/gallon, I'll pass. That stuff if ridiculously over priced!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts