Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Officially Sick Of This CRAP!!! broke again...

3663 Views 83 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  4x4 Cody
ok This has never happened so help me out if this sounds familiar.... Drives ok, and is silent UNTIL I hit the clutch. VERY loud sounds like synchronizer scratch but its not the transmission. its something in the clutch pack... It ONLY DOES THIS WHEN THE CLUTCH IS DISENGAGED... even in neutral... And only every few seconds, (not constant). and when it does it lunges the truck slightly forward... Whats going on here. just started today....

Dan... are you around, have you ever heard of this...??
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

· Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm leaning real big on the throw-out-bearing.. when you push the pedal down, the throwout bearing rides on the pressure plate fingers and depress them right... So no matter what gear the transmission is in, the throw-out-bearing is under pressure when the clutch is disengaged right?? So IF my throw-out-bearing is bad or worn out it would only act up when I hit the clutch. Therefor when I'm driving with the clutch out, its silent.

I may be way off and it could be something wrong with the clutch itself, but there is no room for a pad to come off and be drivable. I've done that befor. and I hav'nt driven it hard enough for a pad to come off or to even break a spring. This is a Valair Dual disc. Its only been in since August 5th. Then again so has the throw-out-bearing... When I sit at a light 9 times out of 10 I leave it in gear and just hold the clutch....

Can anyone out there back me up on this... I have 3 spare throw-out-bearings.. but I cannot afford another clutch. this one still is not paid for yet...

· Registered
510 Posts
no when your clutch is disengaged it wine,when you have pressure on your clutch it should be quiet, its hte opposite of what your saying when thers no pressure on your clutch that bearing is sitting there free spinning i bet thats w hat your problem is doubt your fly wheel cam apart usually if that happen i beleive it will make like a clunking noise

· Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Ok, I'm not getting any responses, Friday night I guess... So I'll just keep thinking this over for you guys...the flywheel always turns, its part of the motor so to speak, the pressure plate is attatched to the flywheel, it also tuns at all times. the input shaft does not turn til the clutch is engaged. the clutches are attached to the input shaft with splines. when you push the clutch in the rod pushes on the fork that the throw-out-bearing is connected to. that fork pushes aginst the fingers/springs on the pressure plate. the throw-out-bearing allows the pressure plate to spin without engaging the input shaft.

Now, if the throw out bearing is going bad, it will try to lock up and lunge the truck forward even if the discs are not engaged. its mashed up against all the pressure of the pressure plate and rides on the input shaft of the transmission. But when its in neutral it only makes noise, doesnt lunge the truck forward... HA I GOT IT!! So :hehe: this is how proper diagnosis takes place in my mind if anyone was wondering. :hehe:

do you guys agree now?? :confused013:

(sorry man, I missed your post) but after reading this do you dis agree with me now?)

· Registered
630 Posts
qoute.....when you push the pedal down, the throwout bearing rides on the pressure plate fingers and depress them right... So no matter what gear the transmission is in, the throw-out-bearing is under pressure when the clutch is disengaged right??

Yes....that is how it works. If it was the clutch I would think it to make the noise when the clutch is engaged and in motion. Could a disk be warped and not disengaging completely? I would email Dan directly and ask him...Valair1 I think.

· Premium Member
3,826 Posts
his flywheel is billet it didnt come apart, you would have a vibration, i guess it could be the release bearing, if anything else the clutch broke i wouldnt think it would work at all as far as release, could be a broke pivot ball, retainer etc...did the pedal height change as far as when it engages?

· -+-+-+-+-+-
1,067 Posts
Hey Cody, I just saw your post here. I would say the throw out bearing as well. Same thing happend to me. Id hurry up and change it. If let go, it can and will break fingers off your pressure plate. It happened to me, and the throw out bearing exploded and threw ball bearings out thru my bell housing.

· Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
no when your clutch is disengaged it wine,when you have pressure on your clutch it should be quiet, its hte opposite of what your saying when thers no pressure on your clutch that bearing is sitting there free spinning i bet thats w hat your problem is doubt your fly wheel cam apart usually if that happen i beleive it will make like a clunking noise
ok misunderstanding on engaged and disengaged. When the clutch is engaged I mean locked up to the motor and going. now disengaged I mean sitting still and not moving. (how I see it in my mind) push the petal down to disengage. ease the petal off the ground for engagement... thought I'd clear that up. :thumbsup:

· Registered
1,813 Posts
how about water got on the flywheel and there is a small amount of rust? Could just be cleaning the rust off?

· Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
his flywheel is billet it didnt come apart, you would have a vibration, i guess it could be the release bearing, if anything else the clutch broke i wouldnt think it would work at all as far as release, could be a broke pivot ball, retainer etc...did the pedal height change as far as when it engages?
No sir Dan, the petal height is the same. there is no vibration at all at anytime while driving. the discs are engaging and disengaging normally, all of that is working fine. but when I push the clutch in, it starts making noise. but the noise stops when I began to bring the petal up about 3 inches off the floor just before it grabs.

(I dont know your screen name other guy, but I missed your post, didnt mean to offend you.) ah, Twitch02. there it is

· Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
how about water got on the flywheel and there is a small amount of rust? Could just be cleaning the rust off?
no theres no way. It only got worse since it started.

For everyone else, when I say "lunge forward" I mean I can feel it move an 1/8". Just that there is very little forward motion when this "noise" happens. there's a very slight amount of movement. a regular person wouldnt notice it. But I was really paying attention to what was going on.

· Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cody if your bearing failed its most likely something else causing it, like running to tight or something.
ok, I'm not going to disagree..... you know more than I do and its probably a dumb question, but What would make it too "Tight"?? Now here this, it has been slightly harder to shift the last few weeks... I'd have to put it in 4th then move to reverse so it would slide in easier... if that has anything to do with it.... I'd just have a short pause going from one gear to the next during regular driving... maybe something is too tight... but what??

· Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Cody if your bearing failed its most likely something else causing it, like running to tight or something.
So from what I've explained, do you agree with it being the bearing?? What are you calling the release bearing? is that another name for "throw out bearing" or a different part all together?

· -+-+-+-+-+-
1,067 Posts
Cody, I guess you missed my post earlier. There were several at the same time. I had this happen to me a couple years ago. Real hard to shift from a dead stop. Grinding noise when clutch pedal pushed down. No noise when clutch pedal up. Mine was the throw out or release bearing. It only had 2,000 miles on it when it went out. I replaced it and havent had a problem with it since. I didnt catch mine in time. It exploded and threw a ball bearing thru my bell housing, and broke 3 fingers off my pressure plate because when its making the noise, the bearing is not spinning like it is supposed to. The noise you hear is the fingers on the pressure plate spinning on the locked up bearing.

· -+-+-+-+-+-
1,067 Posts
Bearings can go out for reasons beyond explaination. It could have been a defected bearing, or got moisture in it before you got it. Id definitely change it as soon as you can.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.