Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 16 2500 should be finished this month with a Carli backcountry on 37/12.5R17 general x3s, I wanted it see what you are running for tire pressure off road. I live in SoCal and the 3 scenarios I will encounter would be:

slow trail/rock crawling
Moderate/high speed hard pack desert
Soft sand (glamis)

·
Registered
12,912 Posts
Never been into 'wheeling large heavy vehicles, but with my Jeep I air down until I start losing beads.
Then I add a little. Then some more if I still lose a bead.

For me, that's 1-3 in sand, 4-5 for everything else. You will want more, maybe a whole lot more, depending on the safety beads in your wheels and how the tire beads are getting along with the rims.

Anyway, every situation id different, so just keep experimenting.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Easy rule of thumb, 50% of on road pressure.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

·
hydraulic lifter crew
12,016 Posts
I tried off roading this big beotch a few wks ago going up tincup pass from st.elmo. I was in the jeep world for years and always ran 8 to 12lbs, depending. lowest I was comfy with on my truck was 35lbs lol its YUGE. too big and heavy for any serious crawling. for me.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Doesn’t airing down these load range E tires damage the sidewall? They are not really meant to be aired down from what i have seen. These trucks are not jeeps. My truck sinks and wont stop until it hits bedrock LOL.
But, i may be remembering the information from the 19.5 tires i was considering. I do run 40 psi in my four rear tires to get the tire to sit flat with the chalk test.

Reactions: Jimmy N.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
19.5 sidewalls have steel cords that will fail if aired down. 17, 18 and 20s don't have a problem being aired down.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,912 Posts
Depends on the tire. I've had 16s that had steel belts in the sidewalls, too.
But it said right on the sidewalls, like on any tire, how they're constructed.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My 16 2500 should be finished this month with a Carli backcountry on 37/12.5R17 general x3s, I wanted it see what you are running for tire pressure off road. I live in SoCal and the 3 scenarios I will encounter would be:

slow trail/rock crawling
Moderate/high speed hard pack desert
Soft sand (glamis)
I run 18-20psi on the beach.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I run 40 front and 29 rear for all three scenarios. Here is a glamis picture of BJ’s dodge rear Toyos at street pressures....

·
Registered
205 Posts
I run 37" tires on 17" beadlocks. When offroading (rocky trails), I air down to 20 psi. I got tired of spending 40 minutes airing up, so I got a Power Tank. Next is to upgrade the valve stems to something bigger.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I run 37" tires on 17" beadlocks. When offroading (rocky trails), I air down to 20 psi. I got tired of spending 40 minutes airing up, so I got a Power Tank. Next is to upgrade the valve stems to something bigger.
How many times can you air up with the power tank?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Depends. There is a chart on Power Tanks website that gives you a guideline. For instanc, with a 10lb bottle, adding 10 PSI to 37” tire, you can do that 28 times. 20 PSI, 14 times.

Reactions: Surfram Delaware

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have a Kleinn onboard air compressor with two 3 gallon air tanks. It takes a while to recharge the tanks. I use the onboard air for the first tire, then the Power Tank for the next two. By then, the onboard air tanks should have recharged enough for the last tire.

·
Registered
12,912 Posts
Hmm. I would've guessed it'd be a lot quicker with that setup.
Also, six gallons at 90-100 psi should last for more than one tire, I'd think.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Holy cow, 10 minutes per tire. What were you using? A cigarette outlet powered "compressor" from Pep Boys?
Doing the math on the power tank vs viair 400p auto for air up times vs cost. If I am towing the camper, I need to go from 20psi to 65-75psi after I come off the beach. Delaware surf-fishing areas have free air stations but the line can get pretty long if everyone comes off the beach at the same time. Viair may be enough for me because I can drive a short distance back to the campsite still aired down and air up while I drink a beer.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts