Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Off-Road Diesel

3K views 37 replies 26 participants last post by  KMKDIESEL 
#1 ·
Anyone run offroad diesel? whats the difference? isn't it just unrefined a little bit more (as in....it will smell a little different). Dont know much about it, yet its alot cheaper.

#35 ·
if you have the correct tax id sure you can, but boy dont get caught with that stuff, as people have said before it is for OFFROAD use ONLY!!! not even a tractor is supposed to run it down the road,,heck when i was in high school, i moved irrigation pipe for my uncle all summer, and guess how i got paid?????...red diesel, i ran it hell id still run it, but i have too much to lose these days, and beleave me brother the govt will take it..all,,,if you get caught with red diesel on the highway, so i wouldnt run it no way

#11 ·
I know that its illegal, but I have yet to be pulled over and have my tank dipped, and I have asked around, and have heard of no one ever getting their tank dipped here in PA:thumbsup

#13 ·
I have been threatened to have my tank dipped and a friend of mine has his dipped. The fine is by the gallon. It also stains your injectors so on tank is all it takes to label your truck for a long time, and i have heard of them pulling injectors too.

#14 ·
So is it illegal to run it on any public roads or just highways and interstates? Also, what would they do to a truck that had no red fuel in the tanks but had dyed red o-rings from being used on a farm?

#17 ·
It's illegal to run one any public road, as you did not pay "road tax". It's dyed for heating oil or construction equipment etc.

#18 ·
I was talking to a guy yesterday that owns a farm, he has red diesel locked in a $2.80 per gallon for the year :thud: So he said.

#20 ·
I was talking to a guy at the shop when I was getting my edge and mp-8 in and he ran it all the time on his truck...an 07 5.9 but never had any issues in PA. Although, the dealers may not be too impressed.

So i think the consensus of this thread is for everyone to go Red. haha (dont do it, I'm not responsible for the idea)

#21 ·
I asked my fuel distributer on red versus ulsd and he said the only difference is the color and the tax, however, in some areas the fuel might actually be higher sulfur. The risk of getting caught with red is pretty slim around here, but I wouldn't want to get caught with it though. Lets just say I have a "friend" with a 6.7 thats been running red diesel since he deleted his dpf and his truck has been running perfect for months.

#22 ·
some is ulsd and some is just lsd. Dont run the lsd in a 6.7 without the dpf delete unless you feel like spending some serious money. Also it is highly illegal with huge fines but if your confident you won't get caught go for it.

#23 ·
out here in Oregon, i buy farm diesel for the tractors sometimes. At the gas station, I just fill up a transfer tank out of the same nozzel that you would fill up the truck, then go pay inside and tell that that it is off road diesel. They make you sign off a little slip thing, then your good to go. I've never done it but, you could then just leave and fill up your tank with the green diesel you get from the pump, for the off road price, and even if you did get your tank dipped, No worries!!!

#24 ·
You can run intermitent tanks of the LSD in the 6.7's with no issues. I have seen it done and heard of people south of the border doing it without issue. Just don't get cought because the fine is pretty awsome!! 1500.00 the first offense here, 2500 the second! They had an article in the newspaper. I did here of one guy fighting it in court and getting it thrown out but that was a few years ago. I can't believe that they get away with dipping tanks without a warrant though. Seems like just driving a diesel isn't enough probable cause!!

Chris

#25 ·
There are places here in my small texas town that allow you to fill your tractor or aux tanks at the pump and aslong as you have the tax id number for farm use diesel they allow the tax to be dropped. Even at the pump, so its all the same fuel here. The dist. said that all the fuel is going to be ULSD now, no need to make both when you can burn ULSD in pretty much every diesel.

#26 ·
So how many peopel have been pulled over and dipped. Anyone ever? Think about ho wmuch you drive your truck and see if you can remember ever getting pulled over to be dipped? I am 40 years old and DOT has never pulled anything I own over...

#27 ·
The dye has no effect,on anything. Depending on the state you live in which is most, the red deisel is ULSD just like at the pumps. You can run it on the road, just not in a comertial vehicle. You can purchase red if you qualify. For instance farmers can run it because of the tax credits they get from the government, they can use those vehicles on the road. City vehicles run it, they run on the road.

#28 ·
yep! it is run in allot of school districts vehicles... Along with the city bus's...

#29 ·
If you live in a farming community... you can bet they are checking. With the fuel prices where they are, they are sure to be snooping.

#30 ·
I got checked about 6 months ago by a officer that worked for IRS. I have red fuel in my transfer tank but when I go to the hunt camp I will fill it with on-road fuel. I asked him if I would get in trouble for the little bit of red fuel that wont pump out and mix it road fuel. He said no, It has to be so much of a percentage or parts to be fined.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.