Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am tired of the high diesel prices like every one else. My truck (2007 6.7) is used as a farm truck only which very rarely see's the highway. I know the story if you get caught but I have lots of red dye fuel available. I have seen posts on the 5.9 engine but has any body run this fuel in the new engine version with all the emissions systems???
Will it harm the cat or the DPF??? my fuel is the ULSD with red dye.

·
UNDERCONSTRUCTION
1,333 Posts
no it'll just turn your filter red thats all. if you never drive it on the road go for it save some money.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
If take your new truck in and need warranty work forget it as Dodge will not pay for any repairs to any vehicle that has red fuel run through it. I had a Dodge Service Manager tell me that if they see traces of red fuel being used in an on road truck while doing any work on said vehicle they are to report it to the state revenue dept and to Dodge so that if it has any warranty it can be canceled.

·
Registered
397 Posts
What if you mix the offroad diesel with regular diesel? Wouldn't it lighten the red dye, then you can bs that your running atf as an additive. Just a thought.

Eugene

·
Registered
161 Posts
My friend took his to the dealership after runnin red diesel and they replaced his injectors no questions asked

·
Registered
184 Posts
The red die will fill up the filter faster, which will cause more regens, which will cause worse mileage. It will probably take out an injector but i dont know for sure.

·
Premium Member
8,547 Posts
My friend took his to the dealership after runnin red diesel and they replaced his injectors no questions asked
same here but about 5 friends and they can not void your warrenty for having dyed diesel ran thru it, if you have a farm truck that never sees the highway except to go in for repairs and you run dyed diesel in it on the farm that is 100% legal, and they dealer ship has to abide the warrenty. Dont believe everything the guys at the dealership tell you 90% are lies, so they get your money:$:

·
Premium Member
8,547 Posts
The red die will fill up the filter faster, which will cause more regens, which will cause worse mileage. It will probably take out an injector but i dont know for sure.
wheres the proof it will fill up the filter faster

·
Registered
184 Posts
Just anything that will burn less clean will fill it up faster. I dont know how much faster, it might not even be noticeable. I should have said it COULD take out an injector. It just depends on how well you filter your red dye.. cause it tends to not be as clean. Before i got my gdp filters i had bad luck with red dye and it took out an injector cause our tank was kinda dirty.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Most places that bring fuel to the farm mix the red dye in at the plat. It is the same uls fuel that the clear is. There should be problems with burning dirty. They just add the dye. Also other than the fuel filter needing to be changed if you run it about out and fill it back with clear fuel there shouldn't be much of a trace of it in the system.

·
Premium Member
8,547 Posts
Just anything that will burn less clean will fill it up faster. I dont know how much faster, it might not even be noticeable. I should have said it COULD take out an injector. It just depends on how well you filter your red dye.. cause it tends to not be as clean. Before i got my gdp filters i had bad luck with red dye and it took out an injector cause our tank was kinda dirty.
which in cause was the dirty tank and had nothing to do with the dyed fuel, you put regular diesel in a dirty tank you will have the same problem. I ran dyed in my truck for 10,000 miles with the filter on with no problems no faster regens or more regens, this is what I have seen on my 6.7 most of the people that so dont do it you are going to have problems are 5.9 guys, that dont have one just saying what they have heard, but listen to the right people that ones that have done it. I am not trying to stir things up with you it just upsets me when all the 5.9s guys think they know everything about the 6.7s when most probably havent even drove one none the less sat in one, I am not saying this is your cause.

·
Here to learn
1,438 Posts
What if you mix the offroad diesel with regular diesel? Wouldn't it lighten the red dye, then you can bs that your running atf as an additive. Just a thought.

Eugene
No it won't dilute the dye. They add 5-6 drops to an entire semi tanker. So it will take more regular diesel than 50-50 to get it to the same color as running with ATF.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Only thing I can tell you about th dye is that my b11 is a lot less red than b1. they do not dye the bio so 10% more bio drops the color out alot.. never have tried to see at what %s it changes.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Well, I ran some red dyed kero through a wick type kerosene heater & I bought a new wick before the week was out. I don't know what it does to filters but extra fuel filter changes could eat up all the profit.

·
Premium Member
16,203 Posts
Total BS that the dye will plug the filter faster.
As said the dye is extremely concentrated.

you run dyed diesel in it on the farm that is 100% legal
The law is it's illegal to run red fuel if the vehicle is registered for on road.
Doesn't matter one bit if it never sees a public road if it's registered.
Chances of getting caught on the farm aren't very likely anyway.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Doing quick math:

Federal excise tax on diesel fuel = roughly $0.244/gallon
Assuming 34 gallon tank: $0.244(34) = $8.296/full-up
Assuming you full up once a week: 52 weeks($8.296) = $431.392/year

If commiting tax evasion is worth an extra 430 bucks a year to you, then go for it.

·
Registered
512 Posts
It is $0.40 cheaper in ohio, that is probably because the price subtracts the state tax too.

If it says may contain over 500ppm does that mean it does or is it just dyed ULS fuel? If it is over 500 ppm would the extra sulfur add about the same amount of lube as 2 cycle oil does?

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
If it says may contain over 500ppm does that mean it does or is it just dyed ULS fuel? If it is over 500 ppm would the extra sulfur add about the same amount of lube as 2 cycle oil does?
The old LSD aka 500 PPM diesel is no longer being made for off road use/red dyed since Oct of 2010, thus all of it should by now be out of the pipe line but there is a chance some my still be around in a few storage tanks. IIRC it takes a certain amount of ULSD to be run through a LSD storage tank before it will pass the test to be at or below 15 PPM/ULSD so that it can get the new label stating its then 100% ULSD..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts