Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Per my information below, I have a 2009 3500. It came with an OEM brake controller installed already. I have been towing a gooseneck trailer around empty off and on and everything seemed just fine with the trailer brakes and controller.

I loaded a 5000 lbs ISO container on the trailer the other day. Now when I brake, the trailer brakes do not function and the light that indicates how much brake pressure there is stays green. I can manually apply the trailer brakes from the brake controller and it works fine and the light gradually changes from green to red. It just isn't working when I use the truck brakes. I tried disconnecting and reconnecting the pig tail as well as turning off the truck and restarting it.

Anyone have any idea what might be wrong?

·
Master of Mayhem NASFIG
8,808 Posts
could be a ground issue with your trailer ball mine sometimes does that till it rubs good

·
Registered
9 Posts
My o4.5 did the same thing. Make Sure You Didn't blow A Fuese, Check The one for the high mount center stop light, it has a seprate Fuese.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help. The ball should be plenty grounded. On the drive to pick up the ISO container the brake controller was working just fine. I switched the truck off to load the container and after it was tied down I started the truck and drove away. At the first stop I quickly found out the brake controller wasn't working with brake peddle pressure.

The fuze sounds more plausible so I will check that tonight. Thanks again.

·
Master of Mayhem NASFIG
8,808 Posts
did ya try adjusting it with any success. if it has a blown fuse then i would think it wouldnt work at all. mite try your trailer tow fuse tho

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
did ya try adjusting it with any success. if it has a blown fuse then i would think it wouldnt work at all. mite try your trailer tow fuse tho
Yep, tried adjusting as I know with the added weight it would take more ajustment, however, that proved pointless. When you say trailer tow fuse, are you refering to a fuse on the trailer or the truck? If on the trailer, I don't believe that would be an issue simply because if I use the manual slider on the brake controller, I feel the trailer brakes working and the LED on the brake controller changes colors gradually from green to red. It's just not working when I depress the brake pedel on the truck.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I had the same problem with mine and it was a grounding issue with the trailer. I just ran a extra wire from the trailer and grounded it to the truck. It was just one of the trailers I have but I got tired of the brakes not working when I needed them so i ran that wire.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had the same problem with mine and it was a grounding issue with the trailer. I just ran a extra wire from the trailer and grounded it to the truck. It was just one of the trailers I have but I got tired of the brakes not working when I needed them so i ran that wire.
I'll check the fuses first and if that doesn't prove fruitfull, I'll try the ground wire and see if that helps.

·
Master of Mayhem NASFIG
8,808 Posts
not sure on the intergrated trucks but on mine in the fuse box it has a 50 amp for the trailer tow pkg which has the brake controller power tied into it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts