Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

101 - 112 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Anyone know if the 2006-2010 mopar part# 52010337AB hydro boost tube will work on the 2005 year model??
Price is $45-55, looks like the other side is only $20 jeez figures I would damage the more expensive of the 2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
83 Posts
Went ahead an installed all lines with a mix of new and old lines. Some of the new lines weren’t clearing properly. I can definitely tell a difference once I bled everything and took it for a test drive. Steering wheel is off center at the 10-11 o’clock position and still getting a bump steering/wandering. I don’t have enough adjustment on the drag link at pitman arm to center steering wheel. Tho I maybe able to shorten Tie rod end at passenger wheel then fine tune at pitman arm.

Plan to check gear box center so I can see how much it’s off and go from there.

Still on the search for that tube at the hydro boost that I’m gonna need to replace at some point.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
Steering wheel is off center at the 10-11 o’clock position and still getting a bump steering/wandering.
Which pitman arm did you install? If it’s not the 2013 2500 arm (5154397AA) you’re not going to be able to center your steering wheel.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Which pitman arm did you install? If it’s not the 2013 2500 arm (5154397AA) you’re not going to be able to center your steering wheel.
Yes that is the one I bought. The gear box appears pretty close to center in my quick check(Pic). Might be to driver side a hair at this position the steering wheel is at 10-11 o’clock.

So am I understand that I next need to adjust/reclock the steer wheel in the cab once I have the gearbox at center?

There is no adjustment thru steer wheel linkage as the 2018 linkage doesn’t have any adjustment other than 180*(I think) at the center bolt being it’s not splined on either end. At least as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
998 Posts
It doesn't seem to matter where the pitman arm sits really, long as the box itself is centered. If what I saw previously is correct, you are either centered or 180* off center as long as you have the correct linkage and correct pitman arm.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Rechecked center on gear box again. With pitman arm detached I was Getting bout 3 1/2 turns left to right. Once I brought it back to what I would say is half between the turns. It looked like the the picture above. So I readjusted drag link and with a bit of fine tuning got steering wheel pretty close to center. Its much better drive wise tho I feel like it’s pulling to the right. So need to see bout a front alignment to recheck that everything is still within specs.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Whelp just got frontend alignment done. Fixing to go pick it up. They are informing me that my gearbox gears have to much slop. That is what is causing the bump steer or jerking left/right motion I’m getting.

So should I

Try adjusting the gearbox?
Then if it don’t improve,

Buy another new 2013-18 gearbox over a used one?

Or buy the mopar upgrade from redhead cause the OEM parts are on backorder till who knows when at everywhere I checked.

Guess that’s what I get for trying to save a few bucks only to spend more money:-|

·
Registered
998 Posts
with the truck off, take a tape measure and hold it at one of the lines in the steering wheel and turn it. It should turn about an inch each way if it's set correctly. So if you hold it at the 4" mark, it should turn to 3" and then the 5" mark.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yeah thanks for info nosympathy

Going home the drive was a lot nicer than it has been for sure. No pull or wandering
Steering was best way to describe it, was slow reaction to input at steering wheel.

Once home I adjusted the gear box to the spec bout 1” of play each side(2” total) I had between 1 1/2”-2” each side(3-4” total) before adjustment.

Now on to a test drive it see how it feels.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I was able to tighten it up believe about 1/4 turn or a little over. Tho flat slot adjustment made things more challenging to say the least. Gave me 3/4” of steering wheel movement left to right total 1 1/2” when I was done.

That made significant improvement to handling. Not wandering, return to center is still good, and any bump steer is less noticeable.

Past getting a new gearbox I believe it’s as best as I’m gonna get it.

AJ

101 - 112 of 112 Posts