Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning.

Are there differences between the 6 bolt box that comes with the 2003-2008 Mopar 68170214AA Steering Box Upgrade and a newer 6 bolt box taken from a newer truck?

Are there any particular years to look for?

The reason I ask is because I have a salvage yard near me that has many low mileage newer Ram 2500/3500’s.

Thank you all for your time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
615 Posts
Curious, how much does your salvage yard charge for one of these? If anything the pitman arm and tie rod end would be different.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
849 Posts
They are different, but think it's just the lines. After picking up the 6 bolt new mopar box, specially after being unhappy with it, I was amazed to find 6 bolt boxes off of 4th gen 2013+ trucks a dime a dozen on ebay for under $250.

Could have done that, a 2013+ pump and all new lines for less than the box I got. Just debatable on how long the used box will last of course.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bit the bullet and came home yesterday with a 6-bolt power steering gear out of a 2018 with 22k miles. At the yard I was able to put an 06 4-bolt gear next to it for comparison.

I now have 90 days (return policy) to get everything sorted. I plan on getting a 2011 to 2012 power steering pump as well.

I need to figure out: the hoses, the pitman arm, the larger bearing on the steering brace, and the steering input shaft connection.

The 06 has a splined shaft at the input and the 18 has a double D style. Is there a commonly available adapter to convert the inputs?

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Did you take the opportunity to view the steering shaft? Maybe the lower half will mate to our upper or maybe the whole shaft will interchange.
I was wondering the same thing about the newer boxes. I did the pump change out a couple of years back. I had the same problem with aligning the pulley. The next day I went back to get the bracket off that 2012, and it was all good.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did not have an opportunity to look at the fourth gen steering shaft...

The yard I have available to me pulls everything themselves. The steering gear I came home with was on their shelf. That would be great if the two halves were compatible.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
I have one near me that deals with Dodges.
If I have my old shaft, I'll take it down for comparison next weekend.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I just used an 09 lower portion of the steering shaft when I swapped in my 4th gen box. It has the square connection instead of the splines and mates properly to the 3rd gen upper shaft and 4th gen box input.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just used an 09 lower portion of the steering shaft when I swapped in my 4th gen box.

Thank you CTD NUT. This is great news.

Would you please share any lessons learned from your 4th gen box swap?

I’m particularly interested in the hoses used and pitman-arm/tie rod type.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I just used an 09 lower portion of the steering shaft when I swapped in my 4th gen box.

Need the 4th gen pitman arm for the bigger shaft. If you have a Y style linkage you need a new rod end at the box, if you have T style it just bolts right in.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Need the 4th gen pitman arm for the bigger shaft. If you have a Y style linkage you need a new rod end at the box, if you have T style it just bolts right in.
Correct. I already had the T steering and just bought the 4th gen pitman arm at the same time as the box.

I was only addressing the issue outlined by the OP regarding what can be done with the steering shaft.

·
Registered
577 Posts

The 3rd gen pressure and return hoses mate up to the 4th gen box just fine. However, the hard line portion of the pressure line comes very close to touching the bottom of the steering pump. I was a little concerned at first but was able to bend the hard line out of the way just enough to get acceptable clearance. I observed it for about a week after that to make sure there was no contact made it all is good.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the hard line portion of the pressure line comes very close to touching the bottom of the steering pump.

I really appreciate your time and the feedback you offer.

Is the clearance concern because the 4th gen steering gear is larger which places the line closer to the pump or is your pump larger?

Which pump are you running?

Based on the feedback offered so far, I believe I’ve got most unknowns I originally listed sorted, with the exception of the pressure line from a 2012 pump to the brake booster and the pressure line from the brake booster to gear box.

I checked with NAPA for a 2012 pump and they offer two styles: 14mm or 16mm. Does anyone know what that means?

·
Registered
577 Posts
I really appreciate your time and the feedback you offer.

Is the clearance concern because the 4th gen steering gear is larger which places the line closer to the pump or is your pump larger?
Happy to help!

The 4th gen box is a little longer end to end and the ports are also a bit closer to the steering shaft end of the box. Because of these two factors combined, it does put the ports up closer to the engine. It's not by much but there isn't a lot of room in that particular area.

Which pump are you running?
OEM updated late model 3rd gen pump.

Based on the feedback offered so far, I believe I’ve got most unknowns I originally listed sorted, with the exception of the pressure line from a 2012 pump to the brake booster and the pressure line from the brake booster to gear box.

I checked with NAPA for a 2012 pump and they offer two styles: 14mm or 16mm. Does anyone know what that means?
It looks like there were two different pressure fitting ports offered on that pump in 2012 for some reason. One has a 14 MM x 1.5 thread and the other has a 16 MM x 1.5 thread. There appears to be no rhyme or reason for the difference. As long as you ran the matching pressure line, you should be good.

·
Registered
308 Posts
What year(s) 6.7 pump is compatible with the Mopar 6 bolt upgrade box in a 5.9?

I just installed the 6 bolt box 68170214AA in my 2004.5 and want to go wrecking yard hunting for a compatible 6.7 pump upgrade?. What years should I search for?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Bought a new Mopar 6 bolt box thru Summit Racing last year and it was loose as a goose, they backed it up and exchanged it. The new one has ZERO slop in my 2004.5.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
From 2008 on PS pumps will work with your truck, you just need to get all the ancillary parts depending on year. The 2008 is the most direct drop in fit, but the 2012 and up seems to be a better pump. The best I found are the ones with a remote resi, they have the largest intake port by far, so they would have the most flow, but also the more parts you need.

I have a used 2008 with new pulley, hose, and resi if you want one quick. I also have a new 2012 pump and parts for a drop in fit.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Hey Gator1,
Where are you located? I'm in Minden NV.
Very interested in the 2012 stuff for a decent price. It would save me a visit to the wrecking yard.
Thanks, Albino

1 - 20 of 112 Posts