Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new 96 4WD has the elusive alpine joystick stereo with cd changed controls.

It will not turn on that I can tell. I’ve tried different volume settings with the thought that maybe just the display was bad.

Illumination works. When I turn on headlights the backlighting comes on. But nothing else. I don’t have a cassette to try to trick it on.

Any other thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Time to upgrade the stereo. I just did a write-up on mine. Really, really happy with the results.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you don't have an owners manual they are available at Genos. 1996 Dodge Ram Owner's Manual (genosgarage.com)
?? I do have a manual. And I know which fuses are which.

Neither helps me to get a working stereo. Strangely enough though, it came on for a second this am. When preheating the engine, it came on (no display, just static), but when I cranked the engine, it dropped off and then didn’t come back on…

Which tells me it is internal to the stereo.

I’ll probably buy a that-era Chrysler stereo which has bluetooth added, as I prefer the OE look.

·
Registered
21 Posts
These older trucks ('94-'97) had a lot of problems due to the cup holder being over the top of the radio with condensation dripping down into inter workings of components. These are Mitsubishi built radios by the way.

·
Registered
21,299 Posts
Check all the connections on back for loose or damaged spades and plugs, ground in particular.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts