Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Odd tire wear. Please Help!

4K views 28 replies 10 participants last post by  Philip 
Don't automatically think it can't be the kingpins on the D60. I had a similar issue and tried the alignment route before I figured it was the king pins that were worn. I replaced them and it has been good to go since then. Jack up the front end and see if there is play in them. Mine were worn so bad that when I jacked up the front end I could see the tires actually move inward just as the tires came off the ground.

Don't go back to the shop that sold you the alignment and didn't check the front end for wear. You were ripped off royally. That's job one of any alignment, check for loose parts. You can't align something where the angle can change constantly.

I doubt they did anything more than write up your bill.

Steve g
I have no choice but to go back to that shop. The price wasn't bad though. I may have ripped myself off I guess:doh:

I've been doing my own alignments on SFA trucks/Jeeps for decades and have always got good tire wear and driveablity out of it.

The reason I didn't catch the worn king pins right off when doing the alignment was I made the ASSumption that KP's are bullet proof. I was getting tire wear indicative of toe out, checked and verified it was a good alignment. Then I checked the KP's and found them bad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.