Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
UPDATE NOTE: DID NOT BUY THIS TRUCK. THANKS FOR YOUR REPLIES HELP.

Hello Everyone.......thanks in advance for your help.

Found a 2005 3500 Dually.........long hunt, but this one was exactly for what I wanted. Specs: Automatic, 4wd, 3.73 rear

>>>>>>

Test ride everything went well until I shifted it from 2wd .... to 4wd high.....constant speed or acceleration nothing unusual ......however when I lifted on the throttle at say 50mph to 60mph.......there was this somewhat high pitch noise, but not too loud.

Repeated this three or four times with same result. Did not try this at any other speeds.

The noise came from the what seemed to be the back of the truck and on the passenger side, but not totally sure on this.

This noise did not happen in 2wd doing the same thing!

Any ideas on what this could be?

I will be going back for a final test drive soon.......anything I can do to help determine what it is?

>>>>>>

One other thing I noticed

1. The driveline in 2wd and 4wd was tight. No clunking when lifting on the throttle fast or tramping it down fast.

>>>>>>

The dealer said all 4wd do this on dry pavement, except of course all the ones I owned over the years!!!!

>>>>>>

So this is where it stands now........Can anyone offer some help/suggestions on what this could be

Again thanks

Mike

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
4wd on dry pavement is very hard on the drive line. The drive line was in a bind and I am not surprised it was making noise.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
NEVER drive in 4wd on dry pavement! It's hard on drive components.......I would't say that all trucks make noise in that situation but it's not good for the truck.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
NEVER drive in 4wd on dry pavement! It's hard on drive components.......I would't say that all trucks make noise in that situation but it's not good for the truck.
Thanks for your reply.

I agree, after all what is the purpose of driving in 4wd on dry payment......... but this was not a drive.......it was as I stated a test drive before buying with the goal of finding out problems/issues in about 5 miles with the concentration being big ticket repair items.

I could not wait for snow or rain to put it into 4wd.....and like most buyers not liking the idea paying possible thousands of dollars "after" I buy because I did not try the truck in 4wd on dry roads on the test ride for a few miles.

So any ideas on the noise?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My experience in intermittent weather.....rain on pavement/then dry...... or off road/on road situations is all the 4x4s I have owned have never made this noise on dry pavement coming out of a storm....... or dry dirt roads after coming off trails.

Right now I really dont think anyone knows what this noise is esp the dealer and me.......normal/not normal, whatever.....maybe my wife and I dreamed it on the test ride, but I am taking the truck in for a checkup and go over everything including this before we buy.....and will get back to on the findings.

Personally......the hope it is normal because we both like this truck so much.

Thanks for your replies

Mike

·
Registered
601 Posts
4x4 stays engaged until you go in reverse 10-20 feet... could be whine...

also could be stretched chain in trans case when in 4x4 and at speed then off throttle it will whine when chain is stretched enuff...
could be low fluid...

if truck is as good as you say and you 'love' then even if the trans case is shot its not that much $$$ to rebiuld it, offer $1k less to seller for transfer case repairs... if not buy it anyway and fix it, just make damm sure the engine/trans are good...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello Everyone

Welllll...here is the update.

Second test ride the truck in 4wd ......there was no loud whine noise on de-accleration only .......very slight whine all the time which I am not worried about. No clue as to what would cause this.

So thanks for everyone that replied and hope I can do the same sometime for all of you.

Mike

·
Registered
918 Posts
So you did it again after a few people told you that was a bad idea? 4H is not made for pavement driving or high speed. I promise you that you will be replacing the transfer case if you keep doing that. The whine coming from the transfer case is probably because the gears are not helical cut but straight cut. I have not had a 241 apart yet but that is my guess. Good luck, third time is the charm.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
So you did it again after a few people told you that was a bad idea? 4H is not made for pavement driving or high speed. I promise you that you will be replacing the transfer case if you keep doing that. The whine coming from the transfer case is probably because the gears are not helical cut but straight cut. I have not had a 241 apart yet but that is my guess. Good luck, third time is the charm.
You made your point before and here yet again.

You ignored my point so let me make it even clearer to you.

I was testing the truck in 4wd hi.........that's it.......and only a few miles combined on both test drives. Do you comprehend this yet?

$25,000 for this truck is a lot of money for our family.....so putting it into 4wd to test on dry pavement for a few miles was mandatory.

I do thank you and everyone again for taking the time to comment. "Crude Dude" is one thing, but if you are also a person that always has to have the last word no matter what........give it a go now for a third time to entertain yourself.

>>>>>>

And finally ......I have had plenty of 4wds. I had to drive my 69 Blazer from Nova Scotia to PA in 2006 in the worst weather ever....constant wet/rain/snow to dry and back to wet/rain/snow in 4wd hi...... mile after mile without an issue.....so I am not that impressed that a 2005 Dodge can only go 2-4 miles in 4wd hi on dry pavement. Nuff said

Attachments

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
I'd suspect the front diff is not adjusted properly, gears will whine if pinion depth/backlash is incorrect. have also seen on an 05 the bearing cap bolts back off, made no noise, except the pass side axel tube was leaking oil,(seal was shot, it was the only thing keeping the carrier in place) but after reassembly, it was making a heavy whine on decel. I readjusted the front diff, and it corrected the noise

agreed, test driving 4wd on dry pavement (no tight turns) will not harm it especially for short distances, it should not make any noises, if the noise was constant, you might be able to blame tires/alignment, but if it changes under accel/decel its typically gear whine.

if the TC was bad its usually a worn chain, and that results in clunks/skipping under load. if bearings were gone it would likely growl/or sound like a cement mixer
if you want to narrow it down remove the rear drive shaft and road test in 4wd, then do the same with the front..

I also had a weird noise on my truck which I narrowed down to the front drive shaft, it had a hum howl bearing sounding noise,I swore it was coming out of the front diff but it was not, it was a bad rebuilt front drv shaft, swapped it out with a used one and noise disappeared

bottom line if you spent a long time finding a truck you like, just offer less and if they come down, and your comfortable with it dive in. diffs/TC's are rather cheap compared to an engine/tranny, and they typically don't have issues

Reactions: team222

·
Registered
40 Posts
Testing it

Most every 4WD I have ever test drove If I did choose to put it into 4 Hi or Lo it was done on gravel. And if you do it on a paved surface because there is so much grip up front with all the weight up there. I generally only steer it all the way one way then the other to see if the knuckle joints make noise. Definatly dont use the 4WD over 30 mph on a dry road its gonna make some kind of noise unless its brand new. After about 10 minutes of that it would no longer be new.:doh::doh::doh:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
:titanic:
You use 4-Hi in the rain? :coocoo
Let me help you out....

Repeating again circumstance yet again.........Nova Scotia to PA........intermittent rain/snow/fog .......then dry roads for a few moments ........then back to ........intermittent rain/snow/fog most of the trip

And Dodges and your solution in a 2005 Dodge 3500 4x4 dually is.......

1. plow along in 2wd because you can not run your truck in 4wd hi on dry roads......risking your truck, yourself and/or your family!!! :badidea:

2. reach down and put it into 4wd hi when roads have rain/snow mix.....then take it take it out of when roads are dry a few moments later........and do this say 3 times a minute for 500 miles :badidea:

If so .......you send a thank your note to Dodge........for me I am thinking what is going on in this world when a 69 Blazer made this entire 500 mile trip in 4wd hi no issues and a 2005 Dodge can not manage even 2-4 miles on dry pavement in 4wd hi.

>>>>>>

In any event.......none of this matters........we bought a 2007 Dodge 3500 automatic 4x4 yesterday to go fulltiming out west and live in few places each year where the weather is good.

As such do not expect conditions like the Nova Scotia to PA trip in the 69 Blazer but if this does happen I guess we will simply have to pull off the road and wait for dry road conditions......maybe wait for days....... because we can not drive our Dodge 3500 automatic in 4wd hi 2-4 miles on dry pavement. Plenty of time for me to write or email Dodge a thank you.......cc you of course for thinking this is acceptable!!!:titanic:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I'd suspect the front diff is not adjusted properly, gears will whine if pinion depth/backlash is incorrect. have also seen on an 05 the bearing cap bolts back off, made no noise, except the pass side axel tube was leaking oil,(seal was shot, it was the only thing keeping the carrier in place) but after reassembly, it was making a heavy whine on decel. I readjusted the front diff, and it corrected the noise

agreed, test driving 4wd on dry pavement (no tight turns) will not harm it especially for short distances, it should not make any noises, if the noise was constant, you might be able to blame tires/alignment, but if it changes under accel/decel its typically gear whine.

if the TC was bad its usually a worn chain, and that results in clunks/skipping under load. if bearings were gone it would likely growl/or sound like a cement mixer
if you want to narrow it down remove the rear drive shaft and road test in 4wd, then do the same with the front..

I also had a weird noise on my truck which I narrowed down to the front drive shaft, it had a hum howl bearing sounding noise,I swore it was coming out of the front diff but it was not, it was a bad rebuilt front drv shaft, swapped it out with a used one and noise disappeared

bottom line if you spent a long time finding a truck you like, just offer less and if they come down, and your comfortable with it dive in. diffs/TC's are rather cheap compared to an engine/tranny, and they typically don't have issues
Your hired.

Greatly appreciate you taking the time to put together a clear and concise reply. We did not buy the truck in this post but did get a 2007 5.9 3500 dually, 4wd automatic with 90k miles.

Near new condition, but this post jinxed it .....as 4wd hi dash indicator does not come on when 4wd hi is engaged.......this happened in the drive way test when we got it home. Thinking the road test in the real world will have to wait for snow..........and not a few miles on dry roads!!!!

:rof:banghead::confused013:

·
Registered
918 Posts
What an @ss clown, that was my first response to your low IQ. I get a kick out of reading your posts in a russian accent, please keep going.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What an @ss clown, that was my first response to your low IQ. I get a kick out of reading your posts in a russian accent, please keep going.
Another one of your absolute and profound skills unveiled...."reading posts stated in a russian accent."

With this expertise please advise us all if they make a 4wd that can go further than 2 miles on dry pavement in 4wd hi.

Now you got something to say about my reply .....cite something specific for even more entertainment.

Did buy a 2007 5.9 4wd so thanks yet again to you and everyone for their advise...........half of this is not true ofcourse. :thumbsup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts