Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when its below 80⁰ my truck likes to spit and sputter only after start up when i give it fuel. I can let it idle for 5 min then give it some pedal and it sputters and blows whiteish smoke. Put in first and get on, spits and sputters, then i shift to 2nd and pull 20+ lbs boost. Next 1st gear take off it runs like a top. Wont do it again till after ive shut it down for the night. I dont understand because I have let it idle for 10 minutes and my egts are 300 and it does it. Generally 80⁰ and higher it wont period. Read around online but only have come across posts where its very consistent. I know my motor is in def need of a rebuild do to retarded kid in past trying to run a massive turbo, no fuel plate, marine injectors and 26⁰ timing. Tons of blowby for sure if that might be the reason.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Air getting into fuel lines. Suction lines, fuel heater, strainer........

·
Registered
17,084 Posts
What is your fuel pressure at idle and free reved to 2000 RPM? Concerning the "need of a rebuild" how many miles between having to add a qt of oil?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What is your fuel pressure at idle and free reved to 2000 RPM? Concerning the "need of a rebuild" how many miles between having to add a qt of oil?
Couldnt tell you that. I put a new cummins lift pump in last month and the injection pump was rebuilt last summer, 10k miles on it.

As of rebuild its 16"@2800rpm no load. That depends on the rpm. If im cruising at 2500 rpm or higher i can prolly go 100 miles before i loose a quart. However the vacuum pump leaks and gear housing itself.

·
Registered
17,084 Posts

·
Premium Member
539 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Without a fuel pressure gauge the troubleshooting regiment consists of throwing parts at it until something sticks. You could try an over flow valve. Air leaks do not leak fuel. https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/94-98-engine/58777-joe-gs-fuel-system-writeup.html
Yea thats true, the return line was leaking so I replaced that when i did the lift pump. However the fuel pressure gauge i have in my truck isnt hooked up, i could try and use that if i can get the parts this weekend.

I did a really good inspection this morning and found some issues. Noticed the drain is wet, its a cheapy so i bought one from dodge. Also the #6 injector looks like it might be very slightly seeping. One i fix that and get all the air out I'll check it in the colder morning temps tomorrow and see how it acts. I'll also get a video and maybe by the smoke it blows and the sound someone here will know. Wish i could find someone close to me to just listen to this engine, i came from a 2015 so im not sure if my 00 24v was the same as this 12v and im over thinking something or its definitely has an issue.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts