Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The past 2 months, every now and then (about every 2-3wks) my truck will have an extended crank then finally fires up. It has never ran rough, puffed smoke, etc which makes me believe that the injector(s) may not be the culprit.

It only happens after its been sitting for extended time (I would say over 2 hrs at least but mostly 8+)

There was one occasion where I cranked it after it sat one night, it started and then I shut it down right away then cranked it and it took an extended crank after it had just fired right up.

Could it be a loose connector tube? I'm thinking of just pulling everything and having it sent off...

TIA!

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
can anybody shine a light here?

·
Registered
517 Posts
sounds like it could be a rail pressure or loss of prime problem. i would start with the east stuff like the tubes, also check the rail relief, rail pressure during hard start?. i see your sig has injectors and rail upgrade kit how long ago was that work done?

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the rail conversion was done 3 months ago...

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rail pressure during start is normal

·
Registered
517 Posts
have you check the wire that rubs by the ac compressor?, and were the injectors done at the same time as the rail?

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I addressed the wire down by the ac compressor years ago but I will check it again and yes, the injectors/tubes were installed at time of rail.

I agree with what you said...check the tubes and go from there...

·
Registered
517 Posts
you may wanna loosen the injectors and start the torque sequence from the start. if your find they are loose u could try putting a drop of blue lock tight on the tube nuts.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you mean the injector hold down tabs or the actual connector tubes?

·
Registered
517 Posts
The connector tube retainer nuts. If they are loose allready and you know you torqued them right the first time they will just loosen again.

·
Registered
662 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Reactions: 06speed

·
Registered
517 Posts
2006 random hesitation to start
this guys video is to the t what my truck was doing. andin the real cold weather it would just crank for 5 to 10 sec no stumble

·
Registered
662 Posts
2006 random hesitation to start
this guys video is to the t what my truck was doing. andin the real cold weather it would just crank for 5 to 10 sec no stumble
Yep. Exactly. I'm very familiar with that thread.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
662 Posts
i had the same problem i have a thread... metal in fuel filter housing and i have done a ton of repairs and nothing fixed it. In January i replaced the starter because the odd time it didn't crank quite so fast, not slow just kinda off and it hasn't done it since.
You are the second person to say this. One guy a couple years ago said the same thing. Many people claim to either: have the same problem but actually don't, or jut tell me I have fuel pressure problems.

I have had gauges as well as monitored rail pressure on my phone many times. I have no fuel problems.

I've been through all my cables and batteries numerous times.

Then, I decided to have my starter checked out because I thought mine always spun slower than other trucks. They rebuilt it, and it cranked completely different, faster, for a week or so. No hard starts at all during this time, and because I had become fairly familiar with when the random hard starts would occur, I knew this had a major impact on the issues. Now it seems like its back to the slower cranking speed, and it has hard/extended cranked since then a few times, as in the video.

I hate to pay the price for a new starter when mine does the job, but it keeps pointing to this as the problem. Its great to hear this from you.

I need to check into your thread metal in filter housing. Haven't read it yet.

·
Registered
517 Posts
the only other thing i did to the truck around the same time was the 2mic filter. and I'm pretty sure it when awhile without hard start before i did the filter so im leaning toward the starter in some way.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I've had my 20, 5, & 2 micron filters for a year and a half now and it didn't phase it. I think you're accurate in assuming the starter did the trick.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Whats the deal with the "metal in fuel filter???"Am I missing something?

Also, you guys are saying this occasional hard start is attributed to the starter motor and if replaced it will cure it for some time then start reoccurring?

NOTE: A month ago mine had a extended crank then went a month without doing it again. Is this what both of you have experienced?

Thanks for all the input!

·
Registered
517 Posts
That didn't have anything to do with my problem its just what I start posting about.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Read the thread for some insight.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.