Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,
I am new to the board and hope you can help. 02, 138,000 miles. Automatic.
A couple of times over the past seven or 8 months I have experienced the following. Between 45 and 60 mph, in overdrive with the converter locked up just after decellerating,I start pressing down on the pedal and nothing happens. Engine speed stays the same,no accelleration occurs....no registration that the pedal has been pushed until I mash it all the way down and then it down shifts and all is normal again.
Then the other day on a 600 mile + journey,it happened nearly a dozen times.
No loss of power, no hard starts,no trouble codes,no tach fluctuations.
Engine is stock with a Banks big hoss 40 hp controller and a magnaflow 4" exhaust. Both of which have been on the truck for 110,000 miles.
TPS maybe????
Any way to check for an intermitten problem like that....or anyone of you experienced the same?

Thanks,
Doug

·
Premium Member
4,256 Posts
Have you checked for codes? Turn the key on and off three times, leave it on the 3rd time and the codes will display in the ODO window. Not all faults will set the CEL.

I'd be looking in the direction of the APPS or Injection pump. APPS can become intermittent. Usually when it does this, you have to return the pedal to the idle position so it can redetect idle stop. On the injection pump, the electronics can get flaky on them with the recurring heating and cooling of the pump.

I'd get a fuel pressure gauge and/or a fuel pressure warning light in there!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Discovered that worked as well....the returning to idle position. I am offshore right now but will check it when we hit port. I have a 600+ mile ride home as well. Hope it doesn't leave me stranded.
Thanks for the quick response. All others are more than welcome as well. This one makes alot of sense though. The apps/tps.
Thanks,
Doug

·
Premium Member
4,256 Posts
The way these problems differentiate themselves is that the APPS will leave codes everytime. 0121, 0122 are the most common.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will check for codes this evening if we hit port. If I get one of these codes....any suggestions on where I can pick one of these up, besides the Dodge stealership?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had a similar problem with my 99 dodge with the banks set up. it turned out to be the banks computer. try unhooking and see if the problem goes away.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I too have that problem on a 01 that i just purchased. stock no programer has ever touched it. there is no trouble starting.

·
Registered
182 Posts
i checked the codes on the odo and p1693,p0522,p0523,p0216 came up whats goin on nothing about the apps.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll check codes today. Anywhere to pick up a TPS/APPS for an 02, automatic??????????????????????.

·
Go for Broke
7,191 Posts
see what you get for codes first....it may be a VP44

·
Registered
566 Posts
i checked the codes on the odo and p1693,p0522,p0523,p0216 came up whats goin on nothing about the apps.
p1693 DTC Detected In ECM Or PCM
p0522 Oil Pressure Voltage Too Low
p0523 Oil Pressure Voltage Too High
p0216 Fuel Injection Pump Timing Failure

the 0216 is the IP failure unfortunately

·
Registered
182 Posts
this is my first ctd p1693 DTC Detected In ECM Or PCM meaning what? and with the Fuel Injection Pump Timing Failure, is this sayin its needing to be replaced or what? i just bought the truck and notced that the lift pump was new but did not know how long it was down before being replaced so with that said is this code telling me that the ip need to be replaced?

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
this is my first ctd p1693 DTC Detected In ECM Or PCM meaning what? and with the Fuel Injection Pump Timing Failure, is this sayin its needing to be replaced or what? i just bought the truck and notced that the lift pump was new but did not know how long it was down before being replaced so with that said is this code telling me that the ip need to be replaced?
if the truck acts up its likely a VP, if it runs ok with no drivability issues then the code may have been set by the faulty, before it was replaced LP.
clear the codes and see what comes back.
if you just bought the truck and it was from a dealership/used lot, bring it back and have them fix it. otherwise if your handy with tools and have a spare 1000$ you can change it your self in about 2hrs

·
Registered
182 Posts
the truck seems like its driving fine but it sometimes get the "dead pedal" i did notice some white smoke when its cold. is it worth a factory pump or a hrvp-44.

·
Registered
370 Posts
im no expert, but i had the dead pedal thing and a '216 code in my 98.5. the dead pedal didnt go away and in fact happenned more often! a new lift pump and injector pump ended all of it. you do realize if the injector pump fails it could leave you with a tow bill in addition to the repair bill, right?

·
Registered
153 Posts
last week the 1693 code showed up in my 99. Was about to order a new injection pump. Unhooked EZ ... it ran fine ... looking at getting a edge juice now, but with 300k on pickup and original injection pump it might not last alot longer but going to see how much longer

·
Registered
343 Posts
K,
ALSO, make sure you check wires! You want to concentrate on grounding. You can't imagine how many have been changed that weren't bad at all. By changing them out the wire contacts were cleaned up and of course the new one worked. Before you buy anything, make sure you check all mounting screws if it grounds through them and all wiring and contacts so everything there is good. Then you can start suspecting failed components.....
Good luck, and let us know what you find!

·
Registered
566 Posts
p1693 DTC Detected In ECM Or PCM only means that there is code in either the ECM or PCM

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
The P0216 error code is the death code of the injection pump... Basically the advancement piston is no longer working to advance the timing when needed.

You'll notice white smoke in the mornings when you start the engine, dead pedal, and rather weak acceleration and power, not to mention MPG are starting to slide off a bit. (Retarded timing).

But what caused this? It cause from the weak fuel system. You need to keep 10 PSI of fuel pressure at all time to the VP44 injection pump to keep it cooled and lubed up. Also lot of the fuel additives today promote wear to the fuel system and on't lubricant good.

Here is my write ups for ya...

Lift Pump Diagnostics

Fuel System Layout

VP44 Replacment

Reprime Fuel System

AirDog Fuel Pump

2 Cycle Oil

1 - 20 of 33 Posts