Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
See sig.

Shudder occurs mostly in 3rd, rarely in OD. Trans fluid looks OK, red and clean.

It feels like igniton breakdown in a gasser, several sharp jerks. Not sure what it is, no codes are set.

TIA

Ops

G

·
There are three clutches operating in third gear, the rear clutch in the main trans, or "forward" clutch, and the direct clutch in both the main trans and the OD section. If I had to guess which one was slipping, it would be a difficult choice.

If the slipping seems to happen in all forward gears, its the rear clutch in the main trans. If reverse is affected, its the front (direct) clutch in the main trans. If its only third gear, its possible the direct clutch in the OD is slipping.

Beyond that, its not impossible for something electronic to be failing intermittantly, and not caught by the PCM yet.

·
Registered
107 Posts
could possibly be torque converter. they need to be upgraded to trpiple disc instead of the single disc if you add more power over stock. you can do a stage 2 shift kit set up for modified motor and it will increase pressure to all clutches and torque converter.

·
Registered
313 Posts
If it seems like more of a "miss" than slipping, anyone think it could possibly be an I.P. problem? I know it doesn't always set off a code. Changed your fuel filter recently?

·
Registered
949 Posts
Stock torque converters have enough clutch area to hold it unless the trans has issues.
Unplug the E-Z and reconnect it.
It could be a poor connection.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts