Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm in the process of building my 1996 f250. I am going to get a 12v Cummins for it and would like to stick with an automatic. I have heard that the e40d transmissions don't hold up that great so I have a 5r110 transmission out of a 2006 f350 6.0 powerstroke. With the adapter plate, flexplate and transmission controller, shouldn't it all work? And if so what transmission controller should I use?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So I did a little more research and it says to just use the factory 6.0 PCM and get an sct tuner to tune the transmission. Which I have an sct tuner for that 6.0 so it may work. What I have planned to do is pull all the wiring from both the 96 f250 and the 06 f350 and put the f350 harness in the 96 so as far as the PCM knows it's in the 06 ford. Then I'll get the 12v cummins harness for the 06 ford and it should be plug & play. Unless anyone has the wiring diagram to build the harness myself which would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
20,232 Posts
Are you going with a 12v that's a VE or P Pump? Just my opinion but I would use a 47 rh or re transmission and a standalone controller from Dodge Transmission | E-TransControl . I have one in my Blazer and it's real easy to use.

I helped a friend do a 12v conversion in a 08 F450 and he used the auto trans and it was very expensive and it took him a while until he could get the trans to shift correctly. The 2nd Gen Dodges have the driver side front axle drop just like the Fords.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I considered that transmission but I have the 5r110 transmission already and it's rebuilt. Plus I have all of the wiring and computers I need, also the tuner for the transmission to make it shift right.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Got all of my wiring from the 06 ford. I had done an e-fuel conversion to the 7.3 so I'm working a little more on that so I can video the engine running then I'll pull it and sell it. Then I'll be able to start on 96 ford's wiring.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Got a little work done to it. Pulled the dash and test fitting some of the 06 ford stuff. The throttle pedal fit great. And the ignition plug thing (sorry I don't know what it's actually called). I also test fitted the blinker switch which bolted right up. So far everythings looking good.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unfortunately I had sold the instrument cluster for the 6.0 a while back so I ordered a new one which should be in soon. Got all of the wiring on the dash. I mounted the 4x4 switch from the 06 ford where the old fuse panel went. I'm using the 06 ford lighting stuff so I'll have automatic running lights. I'll get pictures later of everything. One thing I'm unsure about is the keyless entry module. I would like to use the 96 module because I know the door switches work with it and not sure if the 96 door switches will work with the 06 module. If y'all know if it will then please let me know because it would be lots easier to use the 06 module instead since it pretty much just plugs in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts