Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading an interesting article on wired.com today. It is about an OBDII port lock, called the AutoCyb. It’s a mechanical dongle that plugs into a vehicle’s diagnostic port, and locks in place with a key. The article itself is geared more toward blocking access to the Event Data Recorder (or EDR) data, but could be used to restrict access to the OBDII port for any purpose.

At Last, a Firewall for Your Car's Black Box | Autopia | Wired.com

You can follow the link in the article to the Indiegogo page, and get one of these for a donation to the project.

World's First Automotive Black Box Cyber Security Lock Project | Indiegogo

I have no financial stake in this project, and am not a sponsor. I am just passing this information along to members that might be interested. Mods, if this thread is not proper to post, please remove or edit as necessary.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Be nice to keep the stealership from flashing the truck against your wishes

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
That's great but Chrysler has a wifi diagnostic reader being built into vehicles that will no longer require the use of OBD. Supposed to be in place by 2015 and from my understanding it starts reading as soon as you are in range of the service area. Vehicles will still have the port but it won't be needed for much.

·
Registered
175 Posts
That's great but Chrysler has a wifi diagnostic reader being built into vehicles that will no longer require the use of OBD. Supposed to be in place by 2015 and from my understanding it starts reading as soon as you are in range of the service area. Vehicles will still have the port but it won't be needed for much.
I read an article years ago that said readers will be placed at various points to read OBD's as the vehicle passed, for emission control purposes. So wifi may be in the future in several applications.

·
Your Delightfully Ginger Kentucky President
3,754 Posts
Theres atleast two more years left then!!!

·
Registered
581 Posts
According to the dealership I bought my truck from they said 2014!
Not to mention they said some of the data will automatically be sent and cached at corporate.

...good thing I lined my truck with aluminum foil. Keeps the government from reading my thoughts AND Chrysler from reading my truck. :hehe:

Reactions: BLK07CTD

·
Premium Member
1,268 Posts
According to the dealership I bought my truck from they said 2014!
Not to mention they said some of the data will automatically be sent and cached at corporate.

...good thing I lined my truck with aluminum foil. Keeps the government from reading my thoughts AND Chrysler from reading my truck. :hehe:
:rof:hehe:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts