Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,861
12V Bolt Pattern

PM sent ....

·
Registered
892 Posts
i picked up a fso-8406a without any clutch linkage, the parts diagrams ive found have been pretty detailed with the exception of the release fork. upon talking to eaton they said its up to the oems to put that together. does anyone happen to know an application that would use a pull type short stroke solo clutch with a hydraulic slave? id like to find the splined shaft and release lever to give me some options when i have to make a bracket for the slave. my other question, is the fork the same between the standard and short stroke clutches?

·
Registered
515 Posts
i picked up a fso-8406a without any clutch linkage, the parts diagrams ive found have been pretty detailed with the exception of the release fork. upon talking to eaton they said its up to the oems to put that together. does anyone happen to know an application that would use a pull type short stroke solo clutch with a hydraulic slave? id like to find the splined shaft and release lever to give me some options when i have to make a bracket for the slave. my other question, is the fork the same between the standard and short stroke clutches?
This setup below should work for you. All the parts below is what I used.

I got this shaft, it was a bit long for me and I had to cut it shorter and re-mill the slot
https://www.phoenixfriction.com/p-29237-crp-106c-939-long-splined-shaft-10000-in.aspx

need this for the other side of the fork
https://www.phoenixfriction.com/p-29221-crp-106c-1185-short-splined-shaft-5750-in.aspx

depending on the clutch you use, this is the fork you need for the pull clutch
https://www.phoenixfriction.com/p-29211-crp-105c-137-cross-shaft-yoke.aspx

Need these for keeping the shafts from spinning
https://www.phoenixfriction.com/p-29206-crp-10-30-woodruff-key-cross-shaft-yoke.aspx

you need this lever arm that goes on the end of the splined shaft
https://www.phoenixfriction.com/p-29247-crp-310473x-lever-adjusting-arm-right-side.aspx

I used an Fd-89203 slave cylinder. You can get them cheaper on ebay
https://shop.industrialbrakeandclutch.com/CLUTCH-SLAVE-CYLINDER-FD89203-SC3782044.htm

I also used this master cylinder for actuating the slave cylinder
https://www.autozone.com/brakes-and-traction-control/master-cylinder-brake-system/duralast-new-master-cylinder-brake-system/88561_0_2558?fromString=search&make=Ford&model=bronco&year=

Just tee both outlets together and then run one line down to the slave cylinder.

·
Suffers from Black Lung
1,246 Posts
For the guys that have been talking to Eaton fuller about the transmissions.

How much room do you have with changing gears around? Would it be possible to have 4th at 1:1 and then a double OD? I have been reading about buying an non-OD trans and swapping out the last two gear to get 5th to 1:1 and 6th and OD gear. For me, having a 7:1 or 5:1 first and second gear are pretty useless. I how my 38ft toyhauler at 17K lbs loaded and wet. It just gearing that I would probably never use.

Just curious about it.

Another question is with the FSO6406 or FSO8406, how long is the shifting throw. I have my youngest son sit in the middle seat when the whole family is in the truck. The NV4500 will get a short shift kit to not be knocking into him, just curious about how it is this this trans.

Thanks

·
Registered
515 Posts
Another question is with the FSO6406 or FSO8406, how long is the shifting throw. I have my youngest son sit in the middle seat when the whole family is in the truck. The NV4500 will get a short shift kit to not be knocking into him, just curious about how it is this this trans.

Thanks
It would be nice to have a double overdrive. I am not sure if it is possible or not. I was considering getting the 6th gear set and getting a custom set made from a gear maker but I never went thru with it. let us know if you find out anything. I am using a Gear Vendors and it has been ok but I wish I just had the gearing for what I want.

So, there are a few shifter housings for the eaton. I got mine off a scrap truck and I don't have a part number, but it is definately the short shifter version. My shift zone is a 4" square to go thru all the gears. Takes a little getting used to but it is possible. I also custom made my shifter to be closer to me rather than being dead smack in the middle of the transmission tunnel. It is close to my right leg which helps my wife to shift (she is really short).

·
Registered
892 Posts
This setup below should work for you. All the parts below is what I used.

you need this lever arm that goes on the end of the splined shaft
https://www.phoenixfriction.com/p-29247-crp-310473x-lever-adjusting-arm-right-side.aspx

I used an Fd-89203 slave cylinder. You can get them cheaper on ebay
https://shop.industrialbrakeandclutch.com/CLUTCH-SLAVE-CYLINDER-FD89203-SC3782044.htm

I also used this master cylinder for actuating the slave cylinder
https://www.autozone.com/brakes-and-traction-control/master-cylinder-brake-system/duralast-new-master-cylinder-brake-system/88561_0_2558?fromString=search&make=Ford&model=bronco&year=

Just tee both outlets together and then run one line down to the slave cylinder.
Is CRP 310473X the lever arm in your photo on the previous page? Also is that master slave combo enough to actuate it or do you need that air cylinder too?

·
Registered
515 Posts
Is CRP 310473X the lever arm in your photo on the previous page? Also is that master slave combo enough to actuate it or do you need that air cylinder too?
Yes, that is the arm I am using. I milled it to be able to bolt on a longer arm that I also fabricated. Depending on what you plan to do with your setup that is not needed. I am using the strongest dual clutch I could find and if you dont need the clamp force I do, you can easily actuate the clutch without the air assist. My master and slave combo can actuate the clutch without the air assist. It is about as stiff or maybe a little more as my old southbend dual disc setup. The air assist is really nice to have when you are in stop and go traffic. If I have to shift every so often like while cruising on the freeway, I don't use it. Otherwise if I have to shift a lot, it gets used a lot.

The air assist is really easy to add and I highly recommend adding it. I would do it anyway even if I was only using a single disc clutch.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,868
Fuller Double Overdrive

In the earlier discussion regarding modification of the FSO Fullers to create a double overdrive no consideration was given to what gear is going to be the drive set for the transmission. When the trans becomes an OD trans, 5th gear becomes the drive set for the transmission.

If 1st and 2nd are not used then you only have 3rd gear because 4th would have to be the 1:1 drive before getting into OD mode.

Need to re-huddle and come up with another plan.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I've been reading through the past posts and saw your blue "uhaul hitch" trans mounts. Ive got a 5.9 with a FS5306A behind it. I'm making engine/trans mounts to put it in an F350 but my trans doesnt have the drilled and tapped holes you used to bolt the blue brackets to. I called Eaton to asked how deep to drill before going through the case and what size to tap the bosses. They said they havent heard of anything that uses trans mounts, only that theyre mounted to the bellhousing and torque is transmitted though there to the engine mounts. Where those mounts tapped from the factory? Any idea what size and how deep the threads are? My trands has 3 bosses on the drivers side and 2 on the passenger side. Thanks for any help.

In the future I'd like to O/D my trans and will come back to this thread for the part numbers, etc.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Hey Guys,

I am cleaning out my garage and I have a couple items I don't need anymore. I have my first modified tail shaft housing to work with a mated transfer case. Just pay for shipping and it's yours. Ill hold on to it for a few weeks. If I hear nothing, Ill just throw it away.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Hey Guys,

I am cleaning out my garage and I have a couple items I don't need anymore. I have my first modified tail shaft housing to work with a mated transfer case. Just pay for shipping and it's yours. Ill hold on to it for a few weeks. If I hear nothing, Ill just throw it away.
Dont through it away. I would like someone else to put this to use but if no one wants it, ill save it from the scrap heap.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Got it done

I went and made a video of the whole underside to see more in detail.
https://youtu.be/INEVdVU3cds

Overall, the swap went pretty well. I have only driven it a few days but so far I have no complaints. I would say it is a little more noisy vs the NV4500 but not enough for me to really care.

The air assist is really nice to have.
Can you post pictures of the new shifter setup you used with this transmission? Thanks in advance.

Scott

·
Registered
515 Posts
I actually had to buy one off ebay. I kept the shift tower and the removable collar for the shifter and threw everything else away. I ended up buying a rod and threaded the end on my lathe and then bent it to move the knob over closer to the drivers side and clear the 4wd lever and then cut it to length.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I actually had to buy one off ebay. I kept the shift tower and the removable collar for the shifter and threw everything else away. I ended up buying a 5/8 rod and threaded the end on my lathe and then bent it to move the knob over closer to the drivers side and clear the 4wd lever and then cut it to length.
That's a pretty clever idea, to be honest. If I were to do the same swap as you, I'd figure out a way to adapt the truck's original shifter to the FSO6406A tower. Maybe cut off the shifter a couple inches above the tower then machine it to where you can bolt an NV5600 shifter to it. Then I'd put an aftermarket shift knob on the shifter that shows the FSO6406A shift pattern on it. The goal is to make it to where it looks as close to stock as possible when you're sitting in the driver's seat.

Scott

·
Registered
445 Posts
I actually had to buy one off ebay. I kept the shift tower and the removable collar for the shifter and threw everything else away. I ended up buying a 5/8 rod and threaded the end on my lathe and then bent it to move the knob over closer to the drivers sjide and clear the 4wd lever and then cut it to length.
I know that the transmission is synchronized, but can you float gears when shifting like you can in a non synchronized Eaton Fuller transmission?

Scott

·
Registered
515 Posts
The shift lever was bought from a junkyard company. It was used. My opinion, not worth all the effort to make it look stock. I am so much happier with this new setup. I have the "short shifter" tower. If you look on Eatons parts diagram, there are several tower styles to pick from.

·
Registered
445 Posts
The shift lever was bought from a junkyard company. It was used. My opinion, not worth all the effort to make it look stock. I am so much happier with this new setup. I have the "short shifter" tower. If you look on Eatons parts diagram, there are several tower styles to pick from.
Ah, that makes sense. I'm looking at buying a 3rd Gen Mega Cab and I want to do the FSO6406A swap in addition to a longbed conversion. When it comes time to do the swap, can I PM you for advice and possibly some help with any issues that may come up?

Scott

1861 - 1880 of 1911 Posts