Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

NV5600 Swap Issue, Adapter Plate Thickness, SB Triple Disc

2000 10
I know there is a lot of these posts, and I think I've read them all, but still not 100% sure so I need some help and insight guys. Swapping out a 68RFE to a fresh rebuilt NV5600. Using what I was told was an adapter plate out of a 05 NV5600 equipped truck. But now I'm having my doubts. I'm installing a South Bend Triple Disc DDDCOMP6 with SB hydraulics HYDX .750 is the model I believe.

My belief is the first set of clutch's I received had the wrong hubs on them, and the input shaft collar was hitting the hub on the clutch. So I contacted south bend and pulled the tranny back out. SB sent a UPS truck and ended up sending me another kit. I installed everything again and re stabbed the trans, started the truck, but it is not letting it go into gear as the clutches aren't disengaging all the way. I pulled the hydraulics and pumped the plunger to check for air in the system which there wasn't any, then installed my tool to manually disengage the clutches. I took up all the freeplay on the clutch fork then went an additional 7/8" just like SB said too, jumped in the cab and still wasn't disengaged. I then went just a hair further maybe 1/8" to no avail. Contacted SB with the results again and they swear they tested it and personally seen that this one was working before they shipped it to me. So now I'm second guessing if the adapter plate I installed may have came out of an 05 auto instead of a manual..... When I kill the truck I can put it in any gear I want. Its just when its running.

1. Does the 03-05 47RE/48RE have the same engine/trans adapter plate as the NV5600?
2. Does anyone know the adapter plate thickness on a NV5600 equipped truck so I can compare it to mine?
3. I measured mine with a set of calipers and it was 2.250".
4. Also I cant find a Cummins or Mopar part number on this thing anywhere. The only number I can find is 3965233 which doesn't connect to anything?

Let me know what y'all think because right now at this moment I have no clue where to look or try next.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Cowboy AKA Equality State
1,049 Posts
All Google searches suggest 'Auto'

4,436 Posts
I have an NV5600 trans in my truck and can measure the trans adapter thickness later this morning..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok that would be excellent! Thank you

4,436 Posts
My truck is all original and I am the original owner. No mismatched parts but it is a 2wd with a NV5600.
The fact it is a 2wd should not matter with respect to the NV5600 trans to engine.

The trans adapter in my truck is also 2.25 inches. Measured right below the barring opening on the passenger side and same at the drivers side near the starter.

If you have any other NV5600 questions, I would be happy to help if I can..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you Stealth! That confirms the adapter plate I have installed is correct. Like I said above I built a tool to manually engage the clutch fork/throw out bearing and manually release the clutches and it still doesn’t fully disengage which rules out the hydros. With this being a new reman from Bluementhals I’m wondering if there could be something in the trans not allowing it to go in gear like it should?

4,436 Posts
The only thing I can think of is the clutch fork and throwout bearing.
Are you sure both are correct for a NV5600? It's not a G56 clutch fork/throwout bearing or something like that?
Southbend should be able to confirm this with pictures.

Your engine must be pushing 1000hp for you to require a SB triple competition clutch.
Southbend is excellent and I have had a SB double disk for 10 years.

But.. there are very few guys running a triple clutch on this forum.
Perhaps try a Cummins diesel competition forum or a diesel competition pulling forum for more info on a triple clutch.

www.competitiondiesel.com is an excellent forum similar to this one...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes I’m running the DDDComp6 which is for the 5600. This is the second kit I have received from them (first kit had the wrong hubs in the clutches) so they shipped it back and sent me another kit. The guy I was dealing with said he physically watched it get tested and verified it was disengaging.

And you are correct power wise, I haven’t got it on a dyno yet due to this issue but it’s ~1000.

I think I’m going to go ahead and pull it again and just have another look at everything. I’ll hit up the Comp Diesel forum as well. Thanks a lot for the help! If I figure something out I’ll post an update

Reactions: StealthDiesel

·
Registered
61 Posts
Not to be a dick...but are you waiting long enough after depressing the clutch? When I switched to a dual disk, I spent a month thinking there was something wrong, when it would take a minute to go into gear. With a triple, that’s a lot of clutch spinning?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No harm buddy. Yeah I’ve held the clutch in for a good minute with and a reasonable amount of pressure on the shifter. I did this on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. Still not dropping in gear. I’m getting ready to pull it back out this week and see if I can find anything else.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Good luck. Keep us posted!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.