Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NV5600 swap and other stuff

:party018:

Took the week off to get this (and some other chores) done. Loading up to haul all the parts n tools to the shop as soon as the sun comes up!

Can't wait to get this finally done! :banana-wrench:

· Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmmm..... smooth? :hehe: Thanx for the positive thoughts, but there are always surprises!

And I got one already. :doh: After spending a couple hours just cleaning up the shop space so I could get the flattie inside, I can't find the floor jack! One of my brothers must have taken it. So off to my nearest NAPA to spend money I didn't plan on.

I got the trans & transfer case drained, all the linkages & wiring & drivelines etc off. Then decided to just pull the transfer case first. That ended up being a bugger cuz of tight spaces above and the lowest nut being trapped by the tranny mount but we got it.

While I'm under there I'm seeing all kinds of other mickey mouse crap that I gotta fix later like the aftermarket front arms that were installed without the caster concentrics! :spank:

Loaded up the transfer case to bring home, rebuild and install the NV input. Got it tore apart to find one of the synchro springs had come loose and been chewed up. Not a part included in the rebuild kit so time for phone calls this morn. Then back to the shop to drop the tranny and cooler crap.

One has to be adaptable doing this stuff or it'll drive ya nutz

· Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Crawling around on concrete (with a foam pad) is killin this old timer! :hehe:

Yesterday: 47RE is out. Starter out. Cooler out (but I'll pull the heat exchanger later when I have stuff to bypass the coolant).

I learned that the '99 adapter has a couple bolts positioned different from the '03 NV adapter. Hope I didn't screw up here but too late now.

Valair double disk installed. Then took quite a while but FINALLY got the NV slid in and bolted up. I had to cut the 5" exhaust cuz it wouldn't clear the NV, so I get to fix that later also :banghead:

That was all the oomph I had in me. Toast. Done.

So today will be cross-member, clutch stuff, shifter hole, wiring. Then in the afternoon I can pick up the X-fer case parts and spend the evening putting that beast back together.

· Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
....and the hits keep on comin'

Column shifter removed, crossmember installed. '03 tranny mount does not fit the '99, but the auto one bolts to the NV so problem solved there. hole cut for NV shifter and shifter installed. and then...

Auto brake pedal removed and the '03 manual pedals dont fit the '99 !!! I didn't see that coming.

so now I'm desperately seeking clutch pedal! (and I'll be selling the '03 pedal assy)

Now off to reassemble the NP241

· Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry. Been slackin on the posting.

Good thing I didn't need to finish this project quick! :doh: and I take most of the blame since I had all the stuff for my '03 and didn't bother to research what would not fit the '99 :S:

Seems like every other weekend has been plugged so scheduling has also been a hang up. Here's where we are at:

Valair dual disk in. NV5600 in and filled. transfer case finally finished rebuild (after I lost a clip somewhere and had to order a small parts kit to replace it. it's probably at the bottom of my solvent tank), installed and filled.

Just picked up rebuilt/shortened/balanced driveline. Took 4.5" out of it. Cost $440. Just FYI. I'll send in the front one later on.

After finding that the '03 hyd clutch stuff does not fit the '99, I Ebay'd a Valair HD one..... and their auction page OK'd the incorrect application! :banghead: So after some conversation with them, (cuz the one they sold me fits the 12V. The master rod is too short and not adjustable) they indicated that everything else about the assembly is the same except the rod so I'm gonna try to use the longer rod from the '03 master. Will know this weekend if it fits or if I have to build one. They said I could send it back but the correct one if $60 bucks more!

I scored a $50 cupholder/console thingy on a trip to Spokane since my '03 one does not fit the '99 either. I'm sorry but the guys that want $200 for this item are out to lunch.

The '03 cupholder, new '03 NV tranny mount and the '03 pedals will be for sale soon. I can't use them!

Correct pedals (that I had to Ebay also) are installed.

Adding to annoying discoveries, I found that the FASS that came with this '99is the early version and the filters are discontinued, so I ordered the upgrade threaded adapter which will allow me to buy filters otc. To be installed also this weekend.

Unrelated busted ignition switch is now fixed. I gotta do the clutch wiring and eventually reverse light wiring yet also.

Oh, and I have to 'patch' the exhaust back together since it would not clear the NV as installed and I had to saw it in half!

Moral of the story: Make sure you have EVERYTHING needed for this chore in advance and that it fits! :thumbsup: oh yeah.... and relax. It's gonna suck.

· Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Built an adjustable clutch rod. Can't use the clutch switch now but I'll wire something up (like a push button or toggle) Slightly different from some descriptions, this wire is (on my app anyway) the black w/white but it is NOT the center wire of the three. It was on one end. The middle & other end were the back-ups.

Rear driveline is in. Looks like I could have taken 4 3/5" off but its all good at 4.5"

Back-up lights work :thumbsup:

Got the saw-ed exhaust back together, at least for now.

Off the blocks and up the driveway under its own power :party018:

Then I was out of uumph as I had been up 24 hours. Still gotta lengthen front drive, adjust clutch some (rod too long), wire clutch safety, button up the cup holder/shifter boots, change fuel filters & diagnose all the vacuum 4x4 crap that appears not to be working correctly. My Class-V hitch arrived. The tow mirrors and fogs are on the way.

· Registered
9,857 Posts
Right on! sounds like it's coming together nicely!

· Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Updates: Everything is working swell afa the NV swap. A lil hard to get used to the 5th/6th shift gate but its working fine. Wired up a push button for the clutch switch.

Still gotta lengthen the front driveline and fix (or replace) the intermittant front axle vacuum crap.

Got the Class-V hitch and the steering stabilizer bolted up today before delivering the 47RE to its new owner :thumbsup:

Feeling like I'll be replacing the track bar real soon.

and lastly now that the fresh engine is got some miles on it I turned the Edge Comp up to 5/5. Really improved the spool on the stock turbo. I don't see any smoke but its not easy to watch.

· Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Chris has hooked me up with an HE351CW, which I needed to fit with the C.C. Tow Twin kit I bought a while back.

Tomorrow I meet a guy to buy a set of used 7X.09 VCO nozzles.

Mostly killed my toy money atm. Still need studs :party018:

· Registered
1 Posts
Not sure if this is where i post to get some answers. But i've got a 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins 4x4 with the 48RE trans in it and im looking to swap it for the NV5600 cuz my 48RE needs rebuilt. Now what i need is a list of all parts im gonna need in order to do the swap. So if someone knows these swaps really well, could you give me a detailed list of all the parts i need and maybe if theres a good website i should use that'd be awesome!

· Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi
2018 Ram 3500 CCLBSRW
18,403 Posts
Not to be that jackass, but if you are capable of the swap, you should be able to sit down and make the list yourself. Once you've done that start a new thread, in the 3rd gen section, with your list and ask if anything else is needed

· Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi
2018 Ram 3500 CCLBSRW
18,403 Posts
Also, that comment is coming from someone that has done the swap myself as well. Not just someone being a smartass. Make a list yourself, and then check to see if your are missing anything

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.