Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I sure hate to hear that happened to you. That's why it's been a VERY long time since I've let somebody work on something of mine. I like the sound of the "super syncros" too. I think I've found those syncos though, and they're alot cheaper too. I called superstick last week to see why their rebuilds are so expensive. They told me a few things that they do. I plan on tearing mine down in the next several months. I'm going to try to send what ever parts are involved in the "powerlube package" to a transmission shop to have that done. I'm thinking nobody will probably want to do that since I'm going to be the one rebuilding it, but it's worth a shot. Thinking of getting 3-6 gears and the shafts cryo treated too while I have it apart.
That will be a sweet project...you should do a tech write up on that if you do! I feel like I'm pretty technically inclined but haven't wanted to dive into a transmission if I don't have to...

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I sure hate to hear that happened to you. That's why it's been a VERY long time since I've let somebody work on something of mine. I like the sound of the "super syncros" too. I think I've found those syncos though, and they're alot cheaper too. I called superstick last week to see why their rebuilds are so expensive. They told me a few things that they do. I plan on tearing mine down in the next several months. I'm going to try to send what ever parts are involved in the "powerlube package" to a transmission shop to have that done. I'm thinking nobody will probably want to do that since I'm going to be the one rebuilding it, but it's worth a shot. Thinking of getting 3-6 gears and the shafts cryo treated too while I have it apart.
I wouldn't mind hearing about the syncros you have found that you are considering using. It's not too late for me to ask the shop thats about to take mine apart to use better parts if they are out there.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Look up Synchrotech Transmissions. NV5600 carbon synchro friction set. 7 synchronizer set $150.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I considered Chuck's Gear, but they are in Spokane, I am in the tri-cities (2 hour drive or so). I wanted to just drop the truck off this time and pick it up when it's finished, main reason is just that there can be no argument if anything goes wrong that I did something wrong. I just took it to All City Transmission here in Kennewick, 10 minutes away. I am not sure if I Chuck's just rebuilds them or if they will remove it and reinstall as well.

Normally that's how i do things, but really liked the idea of "upgraded syncros" to allow better shifting that was offered by shipping it. I did call around to a couple local shops here before I chose to ship it and was told that they did not have a large enough press for the job or they had no experience with the NV5600. I heard about the shop I am taking it to now afterwards that they have experience with this trans, hoping it goes good this time.
I'm looking for a local shop to rebuild a nv5600 as well. How did all city treat you?

·
Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi
9,383 Posts
I'm looking for a local shop to rebuild a nv5600 as well. How did all city treat you?
I would highly recommend sending it to Chuck's gear over in Spokane

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
So far it is holding up well. The supplier of their parts had a shortage of one of the forks and we had to reuse mine which wasn't in real bad shape, it was just something they would normally have replaced with it apart. They did the bearing kit with synchros, 1-6 reverse outter, 3rd gear spacer, main shaft nut, shim kit, 3-4 synchro assembly, synchro 1-6 reverse outter, and synchromesh fluid and with them doing all the work including removal and re-installation was $3045.11. The only minor complaint that I have was it took 5+ weeks which was not really their fault. The big winter storm slowed shipping down pretty bad right in the middle of them ordering the parts. But so far it shifts good, as best as it has in the 10 years that I have had the truck.

·
Registered
47 Posts
So far it is holding up well. The supplier of their parts had a shortage of one of the forks and we had to reuse mine which wasn't in real bad shape, it was just something they would normally have replaced with it apart. They did the bearing kit with synchros, 1-6 reverse outter, 3rd gear spacer, main shaft nut, shim kit, 3-4 synchro assembly, synchro 1-6 reverse outter, and synchromesh fluid and with them doing all the work including removal and re-installation was $3045.11. The only minor complaint that I have was it took 5+ weeks which was not really their fault. The big winter storm slowed shipping down pretty bad right in the middle of them ordering the parts. But so far it shifts good, as best as it has in the 10 years that I have had the truck.
Did you try out those carbon synchros?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
21 - 28 of 28 Posts