Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Looking for a reputable shop to rebuild my nv5600, probably going to have to ship it in since there are no real shops in my area that I know about in Eastern WA. Looking for someone with first hand experiences that have had their NV rebuilt.

Thanks,

Derek

·
Trying to learn
8,037 Posts

·
Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi
9,383 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
Dont send a miata transmission to standard transmission. They leave things loose like bellhousings and the like.

Call mr superstick, hes the only guy who can really put a nice NV together.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Superstick it is, will be making arrangements to send mine in. Thanks guys

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Trans is finally back from superstick, they use Fastenal’s 3rd party shipping that costs $200 that you pay return shipping. It took 12 days to deliver it to Texas from Washington. Superstick had the trans for a little over 4 weeks being backed up. The return shipping only took 7 days. Fastenal stopped taking freight right after mine was dropped off due to covid-19. There is not much for tracking updates with Fastenal’s blue lane freight shipping.

All in all, the total downtime was 7 weeks from dropping it off to picking it back up.

I had the fast coolers and their super syncros added to the list. Overall driving impressions are that it does shift better. I would still most likely send it to them for rebuild, but it was tough being without my pickup for 7 weeks. I have not seen a better warranty offered, 3 years 700hp or less, pretty good in my opinion.

·
Trying to learn
8,037 Posts
Good to hear, glad you are happy wth it.

·
9,383 Posts
Glad it's back and running. Next time if you need a faster option definitely check out Chuck's gear. They were able to do mine in a couple days and they are only a couple hours away from where you are located. Plus, they stand behind their product too, although i don't know what their warranty is. But as long as yours is working and feels better, that's what matters

·
Registered
47 Posts
Trans is finally back from superstick, they use Fastenal’s 3rd party shipping that costs $200 that you pay return shipping. It took 12 days to deliver it to Texas from Washington. Superstick had the trans for a little over 4 weeks being backed up. The return shipping only took 7 days. Fastenal stopped taking freight right after mine was dropped off due to covid-19. There is not much for tracking updates with Fastenal’s blue lane freight shipping.

All in all, the total downtime was 7 weeks from dropping it off to picking it back up.

I had the fast coolers and their super syncros added to the list. Overall driving impressions are that it does shift better. I would still most likely send it to them for rebuild, but it was tough being without my pickup for 7 weeks. I have not seen a better warranty offered, 3 years 700hp or less, pretty good in my opinion.
Is it still doing good? I see in your sig, you said superstick transmissions, not so super.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is it still doing good? I see in your sig, you said superstick transmissions, not so super.
I ended up sending it back to them for a total of 3 times counting the initial rebuild. First time I sent it back for warranty was for 3rd gear was grinding. At that time I had a low mileage SB DD 3250 clutch in it but to prove that it was not a component on my end I replaced the clutch with a SB single disk, replaced the upgraded hydraulics with Valair's, oem mopar clutch fork, pivot ball and spacer, & shift assembly. When it came back that time 4th gear was grinding slightly from 3-4 but worse from 5-4 shifts. Each time I sent it back it would be gone for around 5 weeks. I feel like I threw $3k in the garbage. I have the truck at a local reputable shop right now and will see what they find when they take it apart. Should have more info next week.

Reactions: StealthDiesel

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I ended up sending it back to them for a total of 3 times counting the initial rebuild. First time I sent it back for warranty was for 3rd gear was grinding. At that time I had a low mileage SB DD 3250 clutch in it but to prove that it was not a component on my end I replaced the clutch with a SB single disk, replaced the upgraded hydraulics with Valair's, oem mopar clutch fork, pivot ball and spacer, & shift assembly. When it came back that time 4th gear was grinding slightly from 3-4 but worse from 5-4 shifts. Each time I sent it back it would be gone for around 5 weeks. I feel like I threw $3k in the garbage. I have the truck at a local reputable shop right now and will see what they find when they take it apart. Should have more info next week.
Thanks for updating this thread this is good to know!

By any chance did you go with @Loki223 suggestion of Chucks Gear?

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Hard lesson learned. Always deal local with a big ticket item.
If you have trouble with it it's hard for them to ignore you
and just sluff things off when you're standing across the counter.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for updating this thread this is good to know!

By any chance did you go with @Loki223 suggestion of Chucks Gear?
I considered Chuck's Gear, but they are in Spokane, I am in the tri-cities (2 hour drive or so). I wanted to just drop the truck off this time and pick it up when it's finished, main reason is just that there can be no argument if anything goes wrong that I did something wrong. I just took it to All City Transmission here in Kennewick, 10 minutes away. I am not sure if I Chuck's just rebuilds them or if they will remove it and reinstall as well.

Hard lesson learned. Always deal local with a big ticket item.
If you have trouble with it it's hard for them to ignore you
and just sluff things off when you're standing across the counter.
Normally that's how i do things, but really liked the idea of "upgraded syncros" to allow better shifting that was offered by shipping it. I did call around to a couple local shops here before I chose to ship it and was told that they did not have a large enough press for the job or they had no experience with the NV5600. I heard about the shop I am taking it to now afterwards that they have experience with this trans, hoping it goes good this time.

·
9,383 Posts
If you have to ship it somewhere this time around, ship it to Chuck's gear. There is a local courier services called Basin Express that can pick it up in the tri cities, and deliver it to Spokane the next morning for cheap. They can also bring it back overnight as well when it's done. They are the only people in the Spokane area that i know of that work on the NV5600 and are very knowledgeable on them. They had my 5600 rebuilt really fast, the only thing they had to wait on was when they had the main shaft cryogenically treated to add some more strength, and i had absolutely zero issues with it once it got back in the truck

·
9,383 Posts
I think Chuck's could remove and replace it as well, but you'd have to call and check. When mine failed i was to busy to do it myself and had Hurricane Diesel do the work, great guys over there (also in Spokane)

·
Registered
47 Posts
I sure hate to hear that happened to you. That's why it's been a VERY long time since I've let somebody work on something of mine. I like the sound of the "super syncros" too. I think I've found those syncos though, and they're alot cheaper too. I called superstick last week to see why their rebuilds are so expensive. They told me a few things that they do. I plan on tearing mine down in the next several months. I'm going to try to send what ever parts are involved in the "powerlube package" to a transmission shop to have that done. I'm thinking nobody will probably want to do that since I'm going to be the one rebuilding it, but it's worth a shot. Thinking of getting 3-6 gears and the shafts cryo treated too while I have it apart.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts