Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i have truck in sig. when starting in 1st gear, no throttle, clutch is smooth, but first gear is worthless on 6-speeds. second gear start is pretty jerky. also, reverse is same way. anyone else have issues like this?? anyone know what i could do to help? dont start with the comments about knowing how to drive a stick. i have raced cars and drove a stick since i learned how to drive on a stick. i have owned probably 30 vehicles, and only had 2 automatics. however, with this truck, im almost ready to move to a built auto! and i hate the idea of doing that! so, please any ideas would be great.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i have been reading and other people have said things about being engaged or disengaged like some of the valair clutches. i do like the fact that i know the clutch is grabbing every time and not slipping, but is this what is to be expected? would upgraded hydros help? or will that only effect the pedal pressure? this is my first cummins, and i really havent had anything else with this kind of power. do i just have to deal with it? or is there help out there? lol

·
Registered
819 Posts
I think the ceramic clutches tend to do that. The valair clucth I had did the same thing. Don't know how to fix it though.

·
Registered
203 Posts
As far as I know, once you move away from stock friction material the clutch becomes much more "grabby". This one of the reasons these are rated for so much more power over the stock clutch. My SWAG (which isn't worth much) is that with this different material begins to grab the flywheel sooner than the organic facings on a stock clutch. When you are easing out of the pedal the pressure plate is still not pressing down all the way on the disc. Organic facing slips more when doing this, where as the ceramic catches the flywheel at the lower clamp load, but also will slip at a certain point. The jerkiness comes from the rapid catch/slip occuring when easing out on the pedal.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
kennys pulling clutches says that their full ceramic single will hold 550hp and but not recommended for heavy towing. i tow maybe 5% of the time in a year. the other 95% is daily driving in stop and go circumstances. can i use the ceramic if i do eventually tow say a 78 F150? just saying that cause so far, that is the only thing i have towed. and probably the heaviest i would ever tow. they have a full kevlar clutch that holds 450hp, which is probably what im closest to power wise, which you can tow with and has smooth engagement. should i lean towards replacing my clutch for that one? or could i use the full ceramic?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Oh Thank God!! I just picked up my truck and the PO installed a ceramic clutch and that thing was bucking a little using 1st or 2nd gear starts and reverse...I was thinking, man, it can't be that long since I drove a manual. All my cars have been standards except the last one...:hehe:

You hav confirmed that I am not inept and it is just the way the clutch operates, there is no feathering this puppy!:blues:

One question, sorry for the hijack...does a Dana 80 rear end with 3.73 gears make this worse?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i was feeling the same way. like i said, i have driven a stick since i was 16. so 12 years later, i buy this truck and think i cant drive a stick anymore, lol. at least im not the only one too. i guess i just have to deal with it until i can afford an upgrade, but as long as i know that this could be normal for that strong of a clutch, i guess ill deal with it. my wife wont ride in the truck, haha. unless she has to. at least i dont have to worry about her wanting to drive it everywhere, lmao.

·
Registered
15 Posts
i was feeling the same way. like i said, i have driven a stick since i was 16. so 12 years later, i buy this truck and think i cant drive a stick anymore, lol. at least im not the only one too. i guess i just have to deal with it until i can afford an upgrade, but as long as i know that this could be normal for that strong of a clutch, i guess ill deal with it. my wife wont ride in the truck, haha. unless she has to. at least i dont have to worry about her wanting to drive it everywhere, lmao.
:thumbsup: My wife can't even reach the pedals....LMAO!!!

Since it's such a heavy duty clutch it should last a long, long, long ...time, right?....

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it should hold up well, as long as you stay within the power limit i guess. i think im right on the verge of pushing mine. at full boost and all the way in it, it will slip, but not near enough to replace yet. otherwise this thing holds strong. just dont like the way it engages. but i guess there is compromise in everything you do. especially with a cummins. as with the built autos, they get jerky when shifting gears because you want a solid gear change and everything to hold up. so like i said, even with autos, you compromise on the cushion ride and smooth shifts to get that power to work right.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yeah, this thing is no cadillac...but I bet I could climb up on ones hood! Dude, we have almost identical trucks... How hard was it to put in the injectors? Did they make a big difference? I don't even get a puff of smoke even when I get after it a bit. I think I am close to 400hp, not looking to smoke out the neghborhood or anything. The guy that owned it before me said he tuned it to eliminate the smoke and make maximum power... I didn't think you could eliminate all the smoke...LOL:doh:

·
Registered
203 Posts
You could get a dual disk and be ok. I know valair has recently come out with a towing dual disk. It has two organic clutch disks for smooth engagement, and its rated to 550 hp. Any clutch manufacturer I know of will try to steer you away from a ceramic clutch if you plan to tow at all.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, this thing is no cadillac...but I bet I could climb up on ones hood! Dude, we have almost identical trucks... How hard was it to put in the injectors? Did they make a big difference? I don't even get a puff of smoke even when I get after it a bit. I think I am close to 400hp, not looking to smoke out the neghborhood or anything. The guy that owned it before me said he tuned it to eliminate the smoke and make maximum power... I didn't think you could eliminate all the smoke...LOL:doh:
the injectors are fairly simple. there are a lot of posts on here, or just google install and they show you exactly how to do it. youtube also has very good videos of how to do it. i dont know how your guy tuned truck to not smoke unless just adjusting a chip or something. i know my drag comp on 3-1 gives good power, but almost no smoke AT ALL! cause it does the timing decent, but less fuel. but on 5-5(most timing and fuel), i can shut down highways! injectors make a big difference.

·
Hemi
12,666 Posts
Its just the nature of the beast. A dual disk may help a little. Try tapping the throttle as you take off. With my ceramic dual disk that helps.

Student, i would guess youre more around 325hp. The D80 came with 3.55's or 4.10's. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Its just the nature of the beast. A dual disk may help a little. Try tapping the throttle as you take off. With my ceramic dual disk that helps.

i have tried tapping and tried a little more, like a gas would take off. both kinda just depends. sometimes better, sometimes not. it's like my clutch just decides when it wants to grab. nature of the beast i think:doh:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Student, i would guess youre more around 325hp. The D80 came with 3.55's or 4.10's. :thumbsup:[/QUOTE]

:agree2: i was thinking he was less than he thought. im probably less than i think, but havent hit the dyno yet to see. suppose to within the next month or two. :thumbsup: we shall see. the dyno doesnt lie...usually.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Injectors are cake. It took me a little more than an hour to pull my injectors, R&R nozzles and reinstall the injectors. I would guess that with my mods I am around 400hp. 01Whitectd I would guess you to be between 425 to 450 hp.

Reactions: 01whitectd

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Injectors are cake. It took me a little more than an hour to pull my injectors, R&R nozzles and reinstall the injectors. I would guess that with my mods I am around 400hp. 01Whitectd I would guess you to be between 425 to 450 hp.
well, i guess i was about right then. that what i was figuring. everyone else thought 500, but i knew i was less than that. i think you are always a little disappointed at your actual numbers, but you have to be reasonable with your expectations.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Student, i would guess youre more around 325hp. The D80 came with 3.55's or 4.10's. :thumbsup:
:agree2: i was thinking he was less than he thought. im probably less than i think, but havent hit the dyno yet to see. suppose to within the next month or two. :thumbsup: we shall see. the dyno doesnt lie...usually.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm.. The PO told me he installed 3.73 gears in the D80...is that possible?

Also, would 150hp injectors increase my 325? If so, what too?:confused013:

·
Registered
15 Posts
the injectors are fairly simple. there are a lot of posts on here, or just google install and they show you exactly how to do it. youtube also has very good videos of how to do it. i dont know how your guy tuned truck to not smoke unless just adjusting a chip or something. i know my drag comp on 3-1 gives good power, but almost no smoke AT ALL! cause it does the timing decent, but less fuel. but on 5-5(most timing and fuel), i can shut down highways! injectors make a big difference.
Yeah, 5-5 on the Edge, no smoke...I am actually still a little leary running it on that setting...I keep having this mental picture of the motor just exploding...:shock:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts