Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay. I guess I didn’t RTV the top cover correctly and it’s now leaking. Gotta pull the transmission and TC. I could pull it as an assembly, but I KNOW it’s a huge PITA especially doing it with a jack in my driveway. If I pull the TC first, I know I should use a new gasket. However, I’m in a time crunch and I need the truck back together ready for fluid by Thursday. Can I RTV the TC to the tail housing of the transmission, or does it have to be that gasket?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I just sucked it up and pulled it as an assembly with a buddy. Reinstalling will be a different story lol. I’ve done it before though. It’s just a PITA lol

Reactions: DieselWally

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This little guy lol.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
I didn't notice one in my RH truck or when i G56 swapped the other truck.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
I have seen remints of that gasket between an auto trans and the transfer case . There also seems to be a V shaped weep hole in that junction ( auto trans ) , if i remember correctly .

That being said , on the 04.5 built auto install and the '94 5 speed conversion we just slapped giant part A onto giant part B and called it a day .

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting. Well. A floor jack, and two people (me and a buddy) were able to get the whole thing back in as an assembly. Full of fluid and all! Would I do it again? Yeah. Probably lol.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Trying to stab the input shaft of the g56 into the clutch splines was the most difficult and physically demanding thing ive ever done.

I would never attempt it with the transfer case attached, dont think i could do it.

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A lot of sketchy rocking was required lol. My biggest hurdle was the dang 4” down pipe.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
I had to remove mine. G56 was too dam big lol. I had to rock the transmission with prybars and turn the output shaft to try to line it up.

G56 is super close to the cab.

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, putting the square top on my NV4500 when I did the rebuild was one of the best decisions I ever made hah. Those couple inches of clearance make a huge difference. I also used an engine hoist on the front bracket of the engine to tilt it some.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts