Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1992 w250 Cummins 4x4 with a blown a518 transmission and I’m wondering what I would need to swap to an nv4500 if even possible

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
This swap has been done many many times, lots of threads out there. Just use the search function and start reading. ;) Or do a google search...many different 1st gen sites out there with threads on it with this swap as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’ve been trying to find some things out about it but the only things that come up are the getrag to the nv4500

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Get a set of 1stgen pedals (hydraulic; 88?-93).... and all the NV4500 stuff from a 2ndgen cummins truck. (incl. starter, flywheel housing, and bellhousing).

The problem with using the advance adapters bellhousing kit is you need the Getrag's clutch fork, which are impossible to find on their own.

·
Registered
192 Posts
i took apart and used 2ng gen pedals. the shaft was the same dia etc. swapped over to the 1st gen pedal assy. heated up the pedal slightly to move it, more a personal preference thing

·
Registered
192 Posts
i took apart and used 2ng gen pedals. the shaft was the same dia etc. swapped over to the 1st gen pedal assy. heated up the pedal slightly to move it, more a personal preference thing

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How about the nv5600 6 speed, is that a possible first gen swap? I've personally never seen it done

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Yup been done a bunch of times as well.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
The problem with using the advance adapters bellhousing kit is you need the Getrag's clutch fork, which are impossible to find on their own.
advance adapters makes the getrag clutch fork now. no more searching and paying out the ear for one used.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
advance adapters makes the getrag clutch fork now. no more searching and paying out the ear for one used.
Excellent news! :grin2:

I was getting real annoyed picking up people's post-swap G360 leftovers... and no fork :spank:

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Basically the same parts as the NV4500....just a bigger tranny, and the cross member and mounts might be different?

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
do a search on a nv5600. parts are very hard to find for the early ones and very costly for the newer ones. better to go up to a g56 trans.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
^^^^Yup I agree.

I remember reading about one person who picked up 3 different NV5600 trannies from "low mileage" trucks out of a local wrecker before he found one that was rebuildable. There are internal bearing issues I think that can't be seen or diagnosed unless you pull the main cluster out of the case. So may seem like a good tranny until you get it apart. And then there is the lack of replacement parts, not supported in the aftermarket for hard internal parts, and if you can find them they are big buck$$$!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts