Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am putting an nv4500 behind my 1st gen 12v, and I am not sure if it is better to go with the advance adapters bellhousing or find all the stock 2nd gen parts? The killer about the 2nd gen stuff is the EXPENSIVE starter.

Also, I am having a hard time finding concrete answers. I already have the flywheel and clutch, what else do I need? The motor used to have an auto behind it.

I know what a throw-out bearing is, but what about a pilot bearing?

Thanks for any help,

-Matt

·
Registered
233 Posts
Pilot bearing=bearing that is in the flywheel that your input shaft is suported by.
the oem pilot bearings in the 4500 were (i believe) needle bearings that replaced the broze bushing stlye in the getrags, I also belive they are the same size, The needle bearings failed after awhile too. What I did is buy a new flywheel from southbend with the larger pilot bearing. You can buy that bearing and have your flywheel brouched out by a machine shop.
if you were swaping from a getrag then I would go with the AA bellhousing, because you can reuse your stock adapter,slave and starter, and dont have to worry about sourcing them.
Going from an auto, you will need 4500 adapter, bell, slave,starter. and the flywheel which you said you already have. hopefully you can get these in one shot from a donor truck, cause its usually expensive to get them from seperate deals. thats why I ended up rebuilding my Rag insted of the 4500 swap I wanted to do.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahh ok, I bought the 13" SBC conversion so it's a flywheel and clutch. Safe to assume it comes with the pilot bearing then? Just need to pick up a throw-out bearing.

So you figure to stick with the 2nd gen stuff if I'm going from an auto? I have to get the slave anyways, as it's all going into a 95 f-350.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Correct do the 2nd gen stuff, The 2nd slave is easyer to find, nthe throw out bearing will come with the kit from SBC.
If your going new on the slave, try RockAuto Auto Parts just search for a 94-98 dodge ram, they have good prices for the same quality parts you can get from stores like napa.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I did this on my 92'.
What I got:

-engine adapter plate 95'
-bellhousing 98'
-SBC 13" SDC (came with throwout, pilot, fork, clutch, flywheel, disc)
-Build a custom crossmember (I cut apart a Chevy 4x4 one apart)
-Stock slaves WORKS FINE with the stock push rod*
*but you have to straighten out one of the bends in the plastic line.
Also I had to beat the S*&^ out of the floor to make it all fit.

But I ran a Chevy 4500 with a Dodge input, a Ford 205 with a chevy 32 spl input and a Ford HP 60 with Chevy outers.:party018:

I now have about 3000 miles maybe more, with no problems so far.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I have to ask, what is the reason you guys recommend the stock 2nd gen parts? I am having a tough time finding them and honestly think I can get the AA stuff here for cheaper, plus I have to order a t-case adapter from them anyways. If there is a solid reason to use the 2nd gen stuff then I guess I will continue my search.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The reason is that All of the parts on my truck are stock. I don't like AA I think that they are overpriced pieces of $hit. They are not willing to help out anyone unless you buy there parts. I did call them at first but they told me that there adapter was the only way to put a 4500 in a first gen. I asked them about the 2nd gen stuff they told me that it would not work.

Plus I didn't want the slave to be in the stock location. I have a drive shaft there now. And there kit is really expensive, you can get the stock stuff for cheaper if you keep your eyes open.

Also the stock stuff is way better than the AA crap.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I got my motor plate, bellhousing and clutch fork as a set from a parts guy I know for about 300 bucks shipped to me from Greenville, TN. I didn't have to look for anything and he sent it to me.

You might try emailing him, I'm pretty sure he had another set. He has a website, backwoodspartsdotcom.

Besides, if you use all stock parts. They're just that, they're stock. Parts are more readily available for them. Not sure what starter the AA stuff uses, but the 2nd gen starter is like 150 bucks and can be had at your local parts store. How often do you replace your starter anyway?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One more question, will the bellhousing/adapter plate/starter off of a 98.5 24v work? I found a guy parting one out but I have a feeling the parts may not work.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
One more question, will the bellhousing/adapter plate/starter off of a 98.5 24v work? I found a guy parting one out but I have a feeling the parts may not work.
Should bolt right on.

With the 2nd gen stuff you will need to clearance the frame where the starter is at because it is clocked differently and interferes with the frame.

I'm running an A/A bell on my old junk and have had zero issues after 150,000 miles of abuse I've put it through and unknown milage before I got my truck.

The A/A bell uses the stock 1stgen starter and slave and whatnot.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have all the 2nd gen Stock stuff on my 92' 2x4 with NO frame trimming at all. I am using a 2nd gen Stock starter. It was close but not close enough to worry. All the wires go right on, I do think however that I had to go and get different bolts.

BTW does anyone want to buy the stock 92' engine adapter, starter, bellhousing, with the fork and bearing?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Are the spline counts on the nv4500 and the np205 the same?

·
Registered
77 Posts
If you use a Chevy 4x4 4500 which has a 32spl output. Then the Ford 205 with a Chevy Short 32spl input. The short is from the earlier figure 8 pattern Chevy cases. Then yes it will fit with NO aftermarket adapters (FU AA).

Also I had this same setup with a Chevy 205. In that case I had to get the round pattern case (85'+) with the early input.

Now both the later 85'+ round pattern Chevy, and all the Ford cases use the bigger input bearings. So NO machining required.

The trans as far as I know is the same, other than the input. I swapped to the 1.25" dodge HD Diesel input. But you would need to get the later Chevy cases, 95'+. The earlier 4500's have a different 1st gear, and not interchangeable with the later years.

Also the later cases share the bellhousing mounting pattern. So the 2nd gen bellhousing bolts up perfectly.

Now my setup has been running for a while now. And have been DD for the last month and a half. Because my S-10's suspension is all messed up.:doh: I have absolutely no complains at all. I have also been wheelen it, it works great.:party018:

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
yes they are you just have to make sure you take out the seal from the back of the tranny or the coupler will push it against the bearing. And i used advance adapters bell housing i took out a getrag so i had every thing but the bell. I just had to have about a half an inch cut off of the bearing retainer.

·
Registered
77 Posts
If you use a Chevy 4x4 4500 which has a 32spl output. Then the Ford 205 with a Chevy Short 32spl input. The short is from the earlier figure 8 pattern Chevy cases. Then yes it will fit with NO aftermarket adapters (FU AA).

Also I had this same setup with a Chevy 205. In that case I had to get the round pattern case (85'+) with the early input.

Now both the later 85'+ round pattern Chevy, and all the Ford cases use the bigger input bearings. So NO machining required.

The trans as far as I know is the same, other than the input. I swapped to the 1.25" dodge HD Diesel input. But you would need to get the later Chevy cases, 95'+. The earlier 4500's have a different 1st gear, and not interchangeable with the later years.

Also the later cases share the bellhousing mounting pattern. So the 2nd gen bellhousing bolts up perfectly.

Now my setup has been running for a while now. And have been DD for the last month and a half. Because my S-10's suspension is all messed up.:doh: I have absolutely no complains at all. I have also been wheelen it, it works great.:party018:
Are you an idiot? Did you even read what I posted? You need to read what people post before you write/give WORNG advice/info to people. Dumb A$$ .

Reactions: jake_evans

·
Registered
71 Posts
Excuse me! :confused013:Haha first of all I was not responding to your post:spank: second my information is absolutely true! Not all NP 205's or NV4500's are created equal! They are built different to accommodate each vehicle manufacturer and some parts changed through the years as well. I refuse to engage in a childish forum bashing party if you disagree with high impacts data call them and adresse your concern. As I said (it should be very obvious) I was not even replying to your post! That's fantastic that you mixed and matched all those parts but I didn't really care and was simply answering his question.:party018: just simply providing him with all of the nesassary information that pertained to his question.

You sir have lost all of my respect

1 - 17 of 17 Posts