Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am looking into swapping my 47re out for a nv4500. how much can a nv4500 reliable hold before it just eats the bearing's up? at what point do i upgrade to a 1 3/8" input shaft?

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
It depends on what you want to do with it. Boosted launches probably mean that you should start with the upgraded shaft, along with making sure the 5th gear is secured with clips to prevent it backing off. I would get a good upgraded clutch, since you are taking it down to start with, and upgraded hydraulics, since you are going to have to install new clutch slave cylinder to convert. Just my 2 cents worth

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i am buying a valair clutch that is converted to 13". i guess i may as well buy the input shaft. better than breaking it and having to take every thing apart.

on another note how hard is it to change the shifter tower on a nv4500? because the 5 speed i am looking to buy might be from a 12v and they are not compatible with BD's short shifter.

·
Registered
205 Posts
You have to change the whole top cover to a 98.5 and newer style. Its a direct replacement.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Nv4500.com

1 - 6 of 6 Posts