Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 3rd gear synchro and my complete fifth gear are out. Can I pull my trans and just replace the synchro & fifth gear or do I have to rebuild my entire tranny? I got a quote from someone local saying $1200 to rebuild it.
I'll eventually get it rebuilt, but right now I got laid off from Cat so money is kinda tight. I need to know if this is something I could fix cheaper so I will be able to drive to work once I get a job and then complete rebuild would come later on.

PS.. I thought it was the notorious fifth gear nut so I took my transfer case off and the back of the transmission, but it looks like the locking nut has already been installed to keep it from backing off.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
My personal opinion from having just rebuilt my nv4500 a few months ago. You're gonna pretty much have everything apart. Just to fix those two things and that would be the time to rebuild which sucks since you got laid off. If it is just the synchro's then you can still drive it. Just no quick shifting. Rpm match the gear to engine speed. If done right you only need a clutch to start. Just keep you foot on the gas lightly and a little pressure on the shifter it'll pop right into gear when it hits the sweet spot. It can be done for both up shifting and downshifting. I actually prefer it for downshifts as it's very smooth when you get good at it. Just my 2cents. I did the rebuild on my trans myself for $600ish parts and tools. Hope this helps some

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
156 Posts
Call Quad4x4 and tell them what you want to do and they will tell you what tools you will need. A standard shop press can get the job done and some creative thinking. ONLY use OEM synchro! No Brass!

I had a shifting problem into third.. after much head banging I found I had bent the friction disk on my clutch. It makes it act like bad trans parts.
Good luck.

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
new are $1500, remans are $900. Add shipping $200 and core $500 which isn't charged unless you don't return the core. The guy had remaned transfer cases also..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
new are $1500, remans are $900. Add shipping $200 and core $500 which isn't charged unless you don't return the core. The guy had remaned transfer cases also..
Link please?

I've been driving with the 3rd gear synchro out for a year and the 5th gear for about 9 months. But I'm starting a job that will require longer driving and I can't drive a 30 min drive to work with no fifth.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Did you strip 5th? You said the nut didnt fall off so I wonder why you dont have 5th.

And the thing that concerns me about getting these "new" transmissions is that I hear they are made somewhere overseas so the quality is shabby.
Better off having it rebuilt. One of the reasons (and theres a few reasons) I swapped to a manual is the overhaul costs are way cheaper than having an auto built to hold decent power.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts