Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentleman, I am new around here but not to cummins trucks but I am torn on this one so here it is.

I just picked up a stock 97 dodge 2500 4x4 with the 5 spd, nv4500 trans, transmission was out in it. Trans was rebuilt about 9 months ago by a qualified shop near me. Opened it up today to take a look and the only thing that I can find wrong is the input shaft bearing is gone. Input shaft will also need replacing as it has a couple chipped,twisted teeth on the gear. Everything else looks good and clean. Very little shavings from the roached bearing.

I am thinking of cleaning it out really good and replacing the input shaft and bearing. Anyone see a problem with this? Observations?

I will also be checking the clutch parts tomorrow and replace if needed. Upgrading the tail housing to cast iron while I am at it.

·
VP of the dry side
4,217 Posts
I don't see a problem. But id clean it out very well. And give dan a call at Valair if you need an input shaft or anything to do with the tranny/clutch. He and nick there are awesome guys at Valair

On Cummins forum instead of working or doing homework

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
do you think it would be ok to take a solvent spray bottle to it? I was actually thinking of hosing it down while working the main shaft to make sure there isn't anything I'm not seeing. Then replacing the parts, filling and back up and give it a go.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
they should have around 4-6 thousands end play in the main shaft.if the input shaft is replaced this should be checked, some people skip this step, could be the cause of the bearing going out. also to much rtv on the flange could have pluged the hole.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
I'd be very careful as to installing a cast iron tail housing, 99.9% of these are bored off center and are responsible for many transmissions to break. I broke 11 NV4500's, every time I kept putting my hd cast iron tail housing on the new transmission.

Then one day I found some information on this on the Quad4x4 website, talking about how to identify the housings with the problems, mine had it. I changed over to the aluminum and have not broken another.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
I'd be very careful as to installing a cast iron tail housing, 99.9% of these are bored off center and are responsible for many transmissions to break. I broke 11 NV4500's, every time I kept putting my hd cast iron tail housing on the new transmission.

Then one day I found some information on this on the Quad4x4 website, talking about how to identify the housings with the problems, mine had it. I changed over to the aluminum and have not broken another.

Wow. 11 trannys. I'm staying under 350 hp so the cast tail housing never even occurred to me and now it really doesn't.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
While we are talking tranny's can you point me in the direction of a good clutch for 350hp or less and towing around 14000 lbs or so?
There is nothing wrong with my cluch but its a Napa or autozone special and rated for I believe 300 hp.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Valair,

I was reading the quad 4x4 site as well. The aluminum housing on my trans is cracked. I read it to say that the aluminum housing was one of the major causes of failure. They crack, lose fluid and cause an issue. I was going to do it as an upgrade over the stock aluminum housing. I am replacing this one on the ground with two ft of snow on the ground in Montana. I don't want to do it again anytime soon. Quad 4x4 is only about 3 hours south of me. I will call them today and get some opinions. I am also interested in the roller pilot bearing they offer. I am trying to eliminate the issues if I can.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Don't know about the 2wds but it is common with the 4wds. I just want it fixed right this time.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
While we are talking tranny's can you point me in the direction of a good clutch for 350hp or less and towing around 14000 lbs or so?
There is nothing wrong with my cluch but its a Napa or autozone special and rated for I believe 300 hp.

Honestly I wouldn't change it until I started having problems, and then I would just go with a 13" stock conversion with flywheel. It takes you to the same clutch that came in the factory 325 hp trucks

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Honestly I wouldn't change it until I started having problems, and then I would just go with a 13" stock conversion with flywheel. It takes you to the same clutch that came in the factory 325 hp trucks
I got the clutch as a package deal for my NV4500 swap. Deal included everything to do the swap minus my driveshaft modification which was needed.
The seller claimed that the clutch had 2000 miles on it as he just put it in prior to a move. It showed that he wasnt lying as the clutch looks brand new.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK guys. Got my parts ordered from Quad 4x4. Should be here this week to put my 5 spd back together. Here is what he had to say about the cast iron extension housings.

"Back about 5 years ago there were some crappy ones circulating. They were bored incorrectly and caused problems. I have not seen a problem with the cast iron unit in years although they do pop up for sale on ebay and places like that from time to time."

Spent a little more money ordering from them but I like that they are close to home. Doing business locally is important.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
They aparently dont crack on 2wd because its not holding a transfer case up. So aparently theres no reason for me to worry :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
OK guys. Got my parts ordered from Quad 4x4. Should be here this week to put my 5 spd back together. Here is what he had to say about the cast iron extension housings.

"Back about 5 years ago there were some crappy ones circulating. They were bored incorrectly and caused problems. I have not seen a problem with the cast iron unit in years although they do pop up for sale on ebay and places like that from time to time."

Spent a little more money ordering from them but I like that they are close to home. Doing business locally is important.
glad to hear that, I am getting ready to put a nv4500 in my 91 and I converted it from 2w to 4w and went with the cast tail housing. I also bought the 13" clutch from valair so I will see how it works.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
From what I can figure, as long as you buy a cast tail housing from a dealer new there is little chance of an issue.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Maybe I'm just getting old, well they used to have a picture up that showed how to identify the problem, sorry if I got anyone shook up , just trying to help out.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
the pic is still there they just moved it. they show how to measure it, I checked mine and everything looks ok. thanks for bringing it up.

·
Registered
108 Posts
measured the one I recently got from quad 4x4 and it is dead nut too.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts