Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am still trying to figure out if I have a Getrag, and NV4500. I was underneath my truck the other day looking for the "getrag" that was supposed to be cast into the trans ( didn't see it) and found a small casting on the right side of the trans that looks like a gear with the letters NP cast in the center. I am thinking it means New Process, but I'm not sure. Any ideas on what the hell I have in my truck? I will try and snap some pics when I get the chance.
DS79

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
NP has alot or products, yours should have a red badge on the tranny/transfercase

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But would that stamp end up on a Getrag? The floor has a piece of sheet metal over what looks like a hole that was cut bigger. The carpet is cut so the shifter boot is about 6" back of where it looks like it should be. Just seemd to add up to being a NV4500 but can't find any ID stuff on it.
DS79

·
Premium Member
857 Posts
a getrag is teh tranny that is in teh 1st gen dodges. 1989 -93 its a 5 speed manual tranny. the nv 4500 is teh tranny used in teh second gen dodges up to( correct me if im wrong) 99? i think its 94 to 99 but not for sure adn that is also a 5 speed. im sure someone else will chime in to hopefully back me up? lol
what is a getrag? anyway?

·
Registered
311 Posts
A picture is worth a thousand words...

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
i have a 99 5 speed and i was told by someone on the forum that it was the NV4500

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What do you want a pic of? The whole trans, the top, or of the casting emblem? Its in the truck and I don't have a hoist, so the pic will be hard to get. Let me know.
DS79

·
Registered
311 Posts
All of the above... Take some general pictures of how the tranny mounts to the bellhousing, t-case, and frame. If there are any tags/stamps/castings you can get to take a picture of those also. I promise you'll have an answer in less than 2 hours :thumbsup

Chris

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sounds good I will try to get them this weekend.
DS79

·
Registered
18 Posts
i am in the same boat with the tranny. I'll get so pics as well.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Pics added

I got a couple pics today, so here they are, hopefully you guys can help me.
How it looks in the cab (camera was vertical)

Top of trans

Drivers side

Drivers side

The NP casting pass. side
Let me know if you guys need more.
DS79
Might as well show my truck off a little ;)

·
Registered
228 Posts
that shure looks like the 4500 to me

·
Registered
311 Posts
Its not a Getrag.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Who's the guy with all the answers?

It's ok, you can say it :lol3:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
:hyper::hyper::hyper::woot::woot::woot::beer Thats awsome, now I just have to reseal the hole in the tunnel. Its kinda noisy after I took it apart. So anything I need to know about with these trannys besides 5th falling off the shaft. Thanks to all those who helped me out with this. I have more ID ?'s but I'll wait for awhile.
DS79

1 - 18 of 18 Posts