Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my fluid in from amsoil and I am about to change it, but i have one questions: How much does it hold? I had read a ton of threads and i cant seem to get a clear cut answer. I know it holds 4 from the factory, but i hear some guys are filling it from the shifter hole and adding 6 quarts and they say it helps keep the tranny cool while towing, then some guys say DO NOT over fill it. Since the factory fill is 4 quarts, i thinking ill stick with that, but I just wanted to get some input.
Thanks!

·
Registered
214 Posts
i just did my rear diff and front.....rear took little more than 4 qts. It says its supposed to be 3/4 of an inch below the fill hole, but I just feel it with my finger LOL

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
NV4500 hold 1 gallon or 4 quarts...

·
Registered
634 Posts
which is best fluid to use i filled mine with some from autozone when i did my 5th gear nut but i cant remember what it was, now i think my 3rd gear syncro is goin out cause it grinds goin into 3rd if i dont wait a while for it to fall in. thought about changen the fluid to see if that helps it out or not.
by the way when are u gettin those injectors in?

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
I've put 5 quarts in mine. I heard that there is not sufficient oil to the input shaft bearing with just 4 quarts. Just what I've heard:confused013:

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
i put 5 in my too. shifts way better. and temps went down. but u have to take the shift tower out to put 5 in..

·
Registered
226 Posts
which is best fluid to use i filled mine with some from autozone when i did my 5th gear nut but i cant remember what it was, now i think my 3rd gear syncro is goin out cause it grinds goin into 3rd if i dont wait a while for it to fall in. thought about changen the fluid to see if that helps it out or not.
by the way when are u gettin those injectors in?
:doh: you MUST use the part number from the dealer on the side of the tranny, not regular gear lube.
i think the only other you can use is the amsoil mtg that is made specially for our 4500's. if not ule toast your gears. pry what happened to urs

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
I've put 5 quarts in mine. I heard that there is not sufficient oil to the input shaft bearing with just 4 quarts. Just what I've heard:confused013:
Strange... 167K miles and been at 4 quarts all the time... As a matter of fact its about 3/8 to 1/2 inch below the hole now... :confused013:

Hardly doubt this is true...

Kind of like the myth of don't overfill your diff's because the seals will leak... :hehe:

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
dunno...every tranny guy I ever talked to that deals with the NV4500 has told me to run 5, due to the angle of the tranny, and how it sits in the truck. Since it sits at an angle, the fluid tends to run back away from the input shaft, not allowing it to splash the oil on it to cool it. Whether or not it's true, I don't know for sure, but I did have to have my tranny rebuilt last year when it grenaded due to lack of fluid....
The deal with the type of tranny fluid is that if you have a stock tranny with the fiber synchros, you have to use a GL-4 spec oil. I don't know how it works with the fiber synchros, I just know that the GL-5 spec can eat the fiber synchros over time, if used. If you've got an upgraded tranny, and they replaced the synchros with brass ones, it doesn't matter at that point whether you use GL-4 spec or GL-5. It'll say it on the side of the bottle when you buy it.

·
Registered
634 Posts
so i should probably drain the oil out of it an replace it with the stuff from the dealer? how do u drain it?

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
so i should probably drain the oil out of it an replace it with the stuff from the dealer? how do u drain it?
All you need to do is pull the middle bolt on the bottom of the passenger side PTO cover out, and it will all drain out of that one hole. It sucks, because the dealer stuff is about 20 bucks a qt....but you may still need to get one or two extra bottles to make sure you flush out all the autozone stuff, so it doesn't mix...I might use one bottle to flush, but that's just me!:S:

·
Registered
226 Posts
All you need to do is pull the middle bolt on the bottom of the passenger side PTO cover out, and it will all drain out of that one hole. It sucks, because the dealer stuff is about 20 bucks a qt....but you may still need to get one or two extra bottles to make sure you flush out all the autozone stuff, so it doesn't mix...I might use one bottle to flush, but that's just me!:S:
yes i would deff get it out of there. if it was me i would flush it also. 20 a quart is cheap when you need a new 4500.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ill prolly just put 4 quarts in, eventhough i ordered 6! I really dont feel like pulling the shifter out lol.
Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
634 Posts
Ok will do thanks for the help guys sorry to jack the thread for a bit

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
nope, I bought a new race car and that kinda consumed all my attention for now :drool2: But im gonna order them in a week or so! Unless you want to sell me a set really cheap :hehe:

·
Registered
785 Posts
I used Royal Purple in mine, GL4 safe/ It was easier to get it at the local O'Reilly's than to get Amsoil.

:flag1:

·
Registered
643 Posts
I'm still up in the air on tranny fluid for my nv4500. I'm working on switching everything else over to amsoil but still undecided on whether to run Amsoil or oem stuff. The amsoil stuff is actually cheaper. Thats a first. lol

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
cheaper is always better isnt it ?:hehe:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts