Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,

I noticed most of the transmission oil discussions are over a decade old, so I figured I'd ask if anything has changed since then...

I'm planning on flushing my NV4500 since I don't think it's been flushed since it was rolled off the lot in '96. I noticed a lot of discussion on which oils are safe to use in the transmission, with the general consensus being the factory recommended 75W-90 Castrol Syntorque Synthetic. However, I've yet to find it for sale on any websites, let alone in local auto parts stores.

Is this still the best oil to use, or should I move onto something else? I've always heard that modern oils are much better than those of previous decades. Is there a better alternative to it now? If not, is there a place to buy it still that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I always ran amsoil.in my nv4500 over filled by a qt

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
A GL-4 oil (not a GL-5 like most autoparts stores will carry) is needed for the NV-4500 to keep the sycro coating in place. The factory fill Castrol can still be had (GM used it to because they also put NV4500's in some of there stuff), but the more common/ popular choices now seems to be the GL-4 offerings from Amsoil and Redline.

·
12VCTD
199 Posts
Reactions: 98whitelightnin

·
Registered
104 Posts

·
On call 24/7
12,505 Posts
These guys make the correct stuff. I’ve used it in two different nv4500’s with good results

·
Registered
17,504 Posts
These guys make the correct stuff. I’ve used it in two different nv4500’s with good results
They make the correct stuff or they sell it? I've been to Blumenthals. They are not an oil refinery. What is it they sell?

·
Registered
104 Posts
They make the correct stuff or they sell it? I've been to Blumenthals. They are not an oil refinery. What is it they sell?
Agree with GAmes.
FWIW:
1996 Ram Truck FSM Page 21-51: "LUBRICANT LEVEL AND CAPACITY"
"Required lubricant for the NV4500 is MOPAR Manual transmission Lubricant , P/N 4637379. This is the only lubricant recommended for use.
Dry fill lubricant capacity is approximately 3.78 liters (8 pints)."

·
On call 24/7
12,505 Posts
They acted as if they make it. Told me they got the recipe for the stuff mopar used to sell and recommended using 5 qts.

·
Registered
17,504 Posts
I googled BMC-1 and got nothing. There isn't any telling what is in that jug. I have a great deal of difficulty believing they " got the recipe" since Castrol, Mopar and GM would all have to sign off on it. The New Venture 4500 was a joint venture with GM and Mopar and the story I have heard (and believe) is that they developed a proprietary oil for the transmission. Sort of like the ATF+4 formula that was sold to many different companies later on.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Agree with GAmes.
FWIW:
1996 Ram Truck FSM Page 21-51: "LUBRICANT LEVEL AND CAPACITY"
"Required lubricant for the NV4500 is MOPAR Manual transmission Lubricant , P/N 4637379. This is the only lubricant recommended for use.
Dry fill lubricant capacity is approximately 3.78 liters (8 pints)."

·
Registered
449 Posts
I've never had a problem using what the factory recommends. They have smart people doing smart people stuff and they figure it out for us.

That said, I use Redline Shockproof in my gearboxes.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Redline MT85 in mine. From torqueking.com (QU90020 is just their p/n for a quart of Redline MT85), to answer your question about old threads and the Syntorq.

Castrol Syntorq LT® was a low-temperature rated, 75w85w GL4 synthetic oil formulated specifically for the New Venture NV4500 5 speed manual transmission used in Dodge and GM light trucks. Syntorq LT® was also used by many import car manufacturers with various other manual transmissions. It was not an extreme pressure rated lubricant so it is not suitable for use in the hypoid gear axles found in almost all light trucks. Castrol discontinued Syntorq LT® a few years after NV4500 production ended in 2006. Our Redline QU90020 75w85w GL4 Manual Transmission Oil specifically meets the GM 12346190, Chrysler/Dodge MS-9070, 4637579 and 4874459 specifications. In operation, QU90020 equals or exceeds the performance of the original Castrol LT® oil for New Venture NV4500 5 speed manual transmissions.

Reactions: k9american

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
I've never had a problem using what the factory recommends. They have smart people doing smart people stuff and they figure it out for us.

That said, I use Redline Shockproof in my gearboxes.
Ha ha . Not so smart in regards to gear spread , almost unsupported 5 th gear , ect ect .

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Has anyone had luck with Valvoline SynPower synthetic? It says suitable for GL-4, and it's available from Autozone.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Some use mobil delvac1 sae 50 gear oil

·
Registered
17,504 Posts
I use that in my G56. I wouldn't even consider it in an NV4500.

Reactions: k9american
1 - 18 of 18 Posts