Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where Does The Nut Go When You Loose Fifth Gear? I Have The Side Plate Off And Cant Find It.. Does It Stay In The Back Towards The Tail Shaft??
Thanks

·
Registered
483 Posts
The nut will stay on the shaft until you remove the extension housing. The only permenant fix is a new shaft with a full set of splines for the new 5th gear that you need also.

·
Registered
205 Posts
PLease, please, please....take my advice. My good friend didn't and spent a lot of cash trying to fix his output shaft because of the same issue. He tried the "retighten it and forget it" thing... didnt last more than 5k miles. Then he tried to spike the nut and dimple the threads... did it again. Finally he bit the bullet and bought the shaft and gear kit from Dan the Gear Man at Quad 4x4.com NOw the truck is fixed. Also invest in the Fast Cooler and filter kit, then when the trans is filled to the fill plug; pull the shifter and dump another quart of fluid down the hole. If you spend the extra cash now, you wont have to replace the whole trans later... Good Luck... Chris

·
Registered
401 Posts
when shifting hard, sometimes going into 5th gear can be a bit "sticky"....its just a little hard to get into gear and sometimes i have to let off the throttle to get it into gear...anyone know what this has to do with?

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
If letting off the throttle affects anything I would suspect either the clutch is dragging, or the pilot bearing is bad.

There is also the hillbilly in a pinch method of tacking the end of the nut to the shaft. No heat treat issues due to location. Won't back off.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I wouldn't tack the nut, even lightly. Too light and you dont get pennitration and the bead could fall off...CRUNCH! Too heavy and you weaken the shaft.
As my Dad always said {and was usually right} there are 2 ways to do things; the right way or over again.
2G's that shift that hard most likely have a bent shift fork or chewed shift dogs on the syncro. Try Synthetic fluid.
Chris

1 - 7 of 7 Posts