Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are a hundred threads dealing with this problem, but I cannot find a good answer for this problem. I have a 2003 3500 4x4 with the NV 4500 trans. It is my work truck used for hauling new RVs. In the last app. 5,000 miles the shifting has gotten to the point that I just about cannot get it in gear using the clutch. Any gear. I can shift going down the road without the clutch. After reading hundreds of threads on this subject I figured it was my hydros. Replaced that today. Nope, not that. It acts like the clutch is not quite disengaging when at a stop. I can be at a stop and put it in neutral then push clutch in and push the shifter to 1st. It won't go into gear easily but will try to move forward before it actually goes into gear. It's very hard to shift into any gear, either up or down, once it gets going. I haven't a clue as to what is really going on. I don't want to buy a clutch and its the trans or vice versa. HELP, I'm down and out without my truck running...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
As an add on to this when trying to get into gear it doesn't grind. When either pushing or pulling into a gear it's like trying to get through a tight detent. Help.....

·
Registered
343 Posts
When was the last time fluid was changed and what fluid is in it now?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fluid changed about 10,000 miles ago. Previous owner had it done at a shop. I do know it was done but what kind of fluid I don't know. It did shift fine when I got it but has gotten very difficult to shift on my last trip out west. About 4,000 miles out towing 18,000 pounds.

·
Registered
343 Posts
When I buy a used truck, I change all the fluids just for peace of mind. I would switch to Syntorq. Some people use Amsoil MTG but I have no experience with it. The oil has to be GL-4. Anything else will eat the synchros. The part number for Dodge is 4874459 and GM is 12345349. Both are the same thing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So your thinking my synchros are shot. I suppose an oil change at this point would be a waste of money. Any way to check to confirm bad synchros without pulling the trans?

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
If synchros were shot you would be grinding gears.
I would suspect a worn out pilot bearing. The worn out pilot bearing is keeping the input shaft moving thus making it difficult to get in gear.
AMSOIL MTG GL-4 is perfectly safe for the NV4500 but from what I hear, the shifting isnt as smooth. I use it with no complaints. It is critical that you use either the dealer GL-4 oil (syntorq), or AMSOIL's GL-4 oil.
If your going to go through the hassle of replacing the pilot bearing, you might as well throw a cluch in there if it hasnt been replaced but theres no harm in reusing the current one if its got good life left.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I wasn't staying your synchros were shot. I ment that if you just use any other 75 90 your synchros won't like you. If you're not grinding gears, your synchros are fine. Sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Yes, it shifts fine when the engine is off.
If this is the case, your pilot bearing is shot. It is allows your clutch to keep spinning when you push the pedal down. Time to remove the trans and inspect. I would say its time for a clutch. I would change the fluid as well, to the factory syntorq. Its expensive and only from the dealer, but well worth it. I changed the fluid in my NV4500 and it shifted like butter in any condition.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK I ordered a South Bend clutch kit with their big roller pilot bearing. Will be installing in a couple of days. Will post results. Thanks all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts