Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a leak from the 45 start a few months ago when i realized i had bad u-joints so i figured that is what caused it.....well replaced them and the leak is still there and is continuing to get worse. It leaks from the top so believe it might be coming from the expansion plugs on the gear selector cover. What would yall think, it starts up top and runs down the side and collects between the adapter housing and the tranny and drips continously. I have been adding royal purples 75w-140 and have realized the shifting is a little harder. I know the 45 is a little particular with its fluid so do yall think i should stop adding this fluid. the 45 calls for 75w synthetic i believe.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Its probably the shift tower gasket might be loose did one last week,remove the console and boots shifters and have a look.

·
Skrew- EPA CARB OPEC PETA
1,577 Posts
I do know that the NV4500 requires specific oil. cant remember the name of it off the top of my head but I know is very expensive. I have a NV4500 on my chevy and I've found that the oil is a lil cheaper at the dodge dealer than the chevy dealer. as far as whats leakin, Im not sure.

·
Skrew- EPA CARB OPEC PETA
1,577 Posts
Lubrication:
You MUST use the correct synthetic lubricant. The GM part no. for the correct oil is 12346190 (quart). The Dodge part number for the same oil is 4874459 Use of ANY other oil in the NV4500 will lead to failure and also voids any chance of a warranty claim.
NV4500 Transmission Exploded View
Hope this helps :thumbsup

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks alot yall! I knew the 45 was particular but damn.....didn't realize it was prone to failure because of it. I haven't pulled the boots or console to take a look but thanks for the suggestion renopker. Thanks for the info on the oil harvey!!

·
Registered
94 Posts
castrol sintorq will also work in the tranny hard to find...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts