Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
realized the switch was different after install and making the electrical connection. The new chrysler remanf. trans (Donor) was sold to me as a 2004.5. The TTVA mount was different but got a bracket for that), the shift cable plate mounting was different but worked and the Neutral Safety Switch is a 3 pin connector here my original was a 5 pin connector. Can I just get a new plug and rewire? Some threads say the middle 2 wires are not used from the 5 pin connector. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
6,693 Posts
For proper operation using stock cluster/ecm/tcm can't just swap wires, 3rd gen uses different electronics ie , TRS is not same electrically.
What year/model is trans?
02+ used push in sensor with mounting bracket, is it missing?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
realized the switch was different after install and making the electrical connection. The new chrysler remanf. trans (Donor) was sold to me as a 2004.5. The TTVA mount was different but got a bracket for that), the shift cable plate mounting was different but worked and the Neutral Safety Switch is a 3 pin connector here my original was a 5 pin connector. Can I just get a new plug and rewire? Some threads say the middle 2 wires are not used from the 5 pin connector. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my case has a 238-7 and the donor was a 238-1. does this help? it also has a mopar sticker with M2037759 on it

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok i will have to get some pixs. my truck is at a buddys house as he has the lift. are you telling me that I wont be able the wire the 3 prong sensor to get it to work like the 5 prong sensor and I need to get a different tranny? if so holy **** i just put the sucker back in.

·
Premium Member
6,693 Posts
Need to id trans earlier casting has different mount would need to do more then just rewire connector .
Also is it worth it , OEM rebuild of earlier trans does not have upgrades to handle 3rd gen torque.
Maybe use as temporary till you rebuild your 48re??

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Need to id trans earlier casting has different mount would need to do more then just rewire connector .
Also is it worth it , OEM rebuild of earlier trans does not have upgrades to handle 3rd gen torque.
Maybe use as temporary till you rebuild your 48re??
this is all I have for now until i get to my truck? not sure if it helps identify?
B3E7D817-9A97-4126-9100-758E423518E6.JPG
CCA657AA-3312-4ED0-9980-39761F7B9D33.JPG

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I did the same swap. I actually drilled, tapped and beveled for the MLPS. It ran great, shifted perfect but the gear indicator never register right. I'd end up with fault codes and limp mode if I didn't get the shift lever just perfect. I finally put the right transmission back in it and no more issues.

Oh, and that other older transmission is not a 48RE. All 48REs used an MLPS not the three pin neutral safety switch. That looks like a pre 2001 47RE.

Reactions: rghavana

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Guess I might as well bite the bullet and take it back out. Guess I need to spend the money and get the right set up back in. I don’t want to be messing with the codes and limp mode pulling a camper in the middle of know where. Damn dodge

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Where did you get that earlier transmission? You have an alternative remedy. Get a later case or your original case and put all your new parts in it. There is a slight difference between the 47 and the 48 in the front port area where the valve body supplies fluids to the case. It is very slight in the shape of one of the ports. Jon with Dynamic will be able to tell you for sure but I believe all your innards will fit the later case just find.

Reactions: tryNto and rghavana
1 - 12 of 12 Posts