Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had my transfer case apart to replace the range fork due to issues with popping into neutral and shifting to 4 low. Now I can't get it to shift into either 4wd position. The shifter won't physically move. Sometimes if I mess with it enough, I can get it to slide far enough into 4 low to turn the 4wd light on but not actually engage. It shifts fine between 2h and neutral. No weird sounds or anything, everything except the range fork looked great when I had it taken apart.

I'm not going to have time to pull the case for the next few days, so does anyone know what I might have done wrong? Is it possible to install the mode fork incorrectly and still have the case go back together? I'd greatly appreciate any input. Thanks.

·
Registered
19,156 Posts
One of three or 4 things: First the snap ring on the shift color may have came off, get new one either way. Second, shift fork is not in shift collar, the big ring that slides and shifts it is in backwards, been there done that, or roller pin is not in the plate hole. or other miss assembly

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One of three or 4 things: First the snap ring on the shift color may have came off, get new one either way. Second, shift fork is not in shift collar, the big ring that slides and shifts it is in backwards, been there done that, or roller pin is not in the plate hole. or other miss assembly
Do you by any chance remember which way that shift collar is supposed to sit? I think that may be my issue, I kept second guessing myself on it. I can't find any pictures online that I can confidently tell which way it goes. Thanks for the ideas.

·
Registered
19,156 Posts
K can not remember without seeing it but believe the end forthe shift fork goes next to the snap ring. That snap ring tends to bend a bit and should usually be replaced when taken apart. Chances are the snap ring came off or you did not put the shift fork in the groove on it. Mine acted like that once just after I put it back together and I found the ring off.

·
Registered
19,156 Posts
If you have to post some pics when it is apart I can tell you more.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you have to post some pics when it is apart I can tell you more.
I got a kit with all the snap rings ordered, supposed to be here this Wednesday so I'll probably get it pulled apart then. I think you're probably right about what it is though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts