Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I havent got under this truck yet, but I thought i would get some input prior to going out in the cold and removing. Just bought my truck, it has NO fuel shut off solenoid, it has a manual bypass.

Turning the key causes no click, thump, anything. This cannot be contacts correct? I bought it knowing the starter was "bad". He said it was replaced a few months before it died again then it was parked.

To me this sounds like a wiring issue. (The power windows also dont work, so this leads me to believe he thought he knew wiring). Would there be any issue with the truck not having a FPSO? I heard the FPSO and starter have a wire linking them.

Let me know.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I havent got under this truck yet, but I thought i would get some input prior to going out in the cold and removing. Just bought my truck, it has NO fuel shut off solenoid, it has a manual bypass.

Turning the key causes no click, thump, anything. This cannot be contacts correct? I bought it knowing the starter was "bad". He said it was replaced a few months before it died again then it was parked.

To me this sounds like a wiring issue. (The power windows also dont work, so this leads me to believe he thought he knew wiring). Would there be any issue with the truck not having a FPSO? I heard the FPSO and starter have a wire linking them.

Let me know.
You need to provide more info on truck, auto or manual. Starter wiring is different for each. Since you have no fuel solenoid, you can forget the starter solenoid feed to the fuel relay. A quick test you can do is test for battery voltage at the starter solenoid terminal. This is the small brown wire at the starter. Have a helper turn key to start while you read voltage. You should read battery voltage. Take a battery voltage reading before test. No or low voltage means a problem starting circuit. If you do have voltage problem may be in starter, battery, cables, cable connection. This is a starting point.

Do test with due caution, brakes set and also be aware engine could turn over. Use due care.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You need to provide more info on truck, auto or manual. Starter wiring is different for each. Since you have no fuel solenoid, you can forget the starter solenoid feed to the fuel relay. A quick test you can do is test for battery voltage at the starter solenoid terminal. This is the small brown wire at the starter. Have a helper turn key to start while you read voltage. You should read battery voltage. Take a battery voltage reading before test. No or low voltage means a problem starting circuit. If you do have voltage problem may be in starter, battery, cables, cable connection. This is a starting point.

Do test with due caution, brakes set and also be aware engine could turn over. Use due care.
Its a 5speed, my bad thought I mentioned.

Ill just put it up on the lift, no need to chock tires haha.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Ok. The test I mentioned will point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea, thats What i was going to do. But i saw something about them being linked to the FPSO and didnt know if not having one would disable the starter.

I just havent gone outside yet, been about 5degrees.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Checked wires, had 12V at large wire from batt. and 10v at small wire from key.

took out starter brought to autozone, hooked to machine and it just gave a buzz. No bendix ejection, and no spinning.

Im assuming this is contacts.

Ill be pulling it apart tomorrow.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)

Contacts Dont look bad...Thats how i knew it was something more major haha.

What type of grease do you add here? Wheel bearing?

Thats a lot of dust...

De-stroyed

Nice divot and chips missing.

Well it looks like it was more damage than i thought. Atleast the guy did have someone try and rebuild this Delco-Remy at one point and didnt go buy an autozone junker.

Larryb - LarryB's Cummins & Dodge Denso Starter COMPLETE rebuild kit 94-06

Is there any place I can get a new rotor that people use often?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Got an after market armature.

The cleaned up old one will work, Ive tried it now.

Would you run a no name aftermarket or the OEM denso that has some wear?

Left is aftermarket, right is cleaned up denso

1 - 12 of 12 Posts