Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done some reading but I'm not finding a whole lot of exact enough answers.

I'll be the first to admit this.... I messed up when choosing my turbo. I bought a Borg Warner s300 64/65/14. I have since learned that it will not be a very friendly turbo. My thinking at the time was that I wanted a 64mm inducer to control smoke but I wanted the spool up of a 62/65/12 but not the heat. Thats when I thought I'd do the 64 for air volume, 65 for quicker spool and a 14cm housing to control heat. I have since become aware that I may not like the surging issues that this combo has.

I haven't driven this turbo yet due to the fact that my truck isn't finished so of course before I change anything, I'll drive and see what I think of it. But this is what I think my options are....

1) I can ditch the turbo and try again with a different combo.... like say a 64/68/14..... this is the expensive option.

2) I can try and get a new housing and a 68mm turbing and just reconfigure my turbo..... Don't know how much that would cost.

3) just get a BOV. still like $600 but it would eliminate the turbo surge but it may get real annoying having that thing purge everytime I let off the throttle.

If swaping out the parts is the cheapest way, then I may just do that in the future, again it just depends on what a 68mm wheel and 14cm housing to fit it costs.

Now I know the 68mm wheel and a 14cm housing spools a little slower but I've got .024 DV's, 5x12s, no plate, TST med spring, and a 4 gsk. So I think that it'll have plenty of fuel to light up a 68 pretty quick.

So does anyone have any input on this never ending turbo topic that has actually played with a couple different turbos?

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
With what I have it spools close enough to stock to me, Call Chriss at engineered Diesel and see what he has to say about redoing your turbo or going with something he builds. He has a 63/68/.8 or 14 and it out spools a 62 and out flows a 64, Thats the turbo I was going to go with but after some more talking with him and going with the billet wheel I went bigger for my goals. I love my set up and wouldnt change it for anything

1 - 2 of 2 Posts