Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright, the truck in my sig never seems to want to warm up......the temp never gets up to 190 like it should. running down the highway when its 40 degrees out i have to have a chunk of cardboard stuffed in between the radiator and intercooler just to keep it close and even then its still a low temp. i replaced the thermostat and still the same. anyone got any ideas? :confused013:

·
Premium Member
16,224 Posts
My bet is the gauge isn't reading right. Maybe needs a new sender.

Moving this to 24 valve for better exposure.

·
cumminsforum.com
26,302 Posts
alright, the truck in my sig never seems to want to warm up......the temp never gets up to 190 like it should. running down the highway when its 40 degrees out i have to have a chunk of cardboard stuffed in between the radiator and intercooler just to keep it close and even then its still a low temp. i replaced the thermostat and still the same. anyone got any ideas? :confused013:
1. Cardbaord between the intercooler and radiator is dangerous really...
Winter Front

2. Test the coolant temperature by grabing the upper hose to see if its hot to the touch or use a thermometer in the coolant. (WARNING! Be careful of the coolant could be under pressure and don't get burned...) If the coolant temp is different from the gauge the the sender is shot.

3. You could test the cluster to be sure the gauge is good.
Cluster Testing

·
Premium Member
12,068 Posts
Did you use genuine Cummins stat? Many of aftermarket do not have additional bypass control valve in bottom. That reason some are so cheap..

·
cumminsforum.com
26,302 Posts
That shouldn't effect it that bad...

I'm been using NAPA t-stats now for 7 years and no problem here...:confused013:

·
Premium Member
16,224 Posts
Cardboard between the intercooler and radiator is dangerous really...
Finally someone who agrees with what I've known for years.
Another danger I've seen firsthand from cardboard up against the coolers is when it doesn't cover the entire airflow but instead allows flow around the sides, top and/or bottom.
What happens is the fan blades flex a little every time they rotate though the uneven airflow.
Eventually a blade breaks and cuts loose usually causing several hundred dollars worth of damage and a broken down truck.
This only happens with metal fans like our trucks have, plastic fans can handle the flexing.
I saw one where the blade took out the radiator, innercooler, auto tranny cooler and the the front grill.
Chain reaction caused three blades to fly off in just a few seconds.

·
cumminsforum.com
26,302 Posts
Finally someone who agrees with what I've known for years.
Another danger I've seen firsthand from cardboard up against the coolers is when it doesn't cover the entire airflow but instead allows flow around the sides, top and/or bottom.
What happens is the fan blades flex a little every time they rotate though the uneven airflow.
Eventually a blade breaks and cuts loose usually causing several hundred dollars worth of damage and a broken down truck.
This only happens with metal fans like our trucks have, plastic fans can handle the flexing.
I saw one where the blade took out the radiator, innercooler, auto tranny cooler and the the front grill.
Chain reaction caused three blades to fly off in just a few seconds.
The other factor is cooling ability. You blocking off the ability to cool completely. No air flow period. And if you added a hole in the center its worse. Thefan remains unlocked and coolant and intercooler temps can get very dangerously high quickly without warning...

Like My self I use a winter front on the grill face so if the truck is climbing a long grade and requires extra cooling the fan can still draw air across the radiators and cooler to maintain safe temps for both coolant and manifold.

The first and last time I used cardboard (actually a steel budwieser sign) in between the radiator and intercooler I saw coolant temps of 210-220*F... Exhaust temp were wild too 1,200-1,300*F... It was only a short climb up a 10% grade for 2 miles...:doh:

Now with the winter fronts my temp will top out at about 200-202*F period and fall back to 193-195*F and hold even at -20*F days! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
alright i reached the verdict. i spent some time at school today troubleshooting on it and i out a mechanical guage in one of the ports on my head. the temp readings were within 10 degrees of eachother. after that i pulled the thermostat housing back off to investigate. i found out that when i got my new stat it did not come with the seal. i did not pull one out either when i took it apart. since the seal was not in there and it deteriorated away the thermostat was allowing to turn itself and allow coolant to bypass. i out in a new seal to hold back the stat and wham bam thank you mam she works like she should. and NO MORE CARDBOARD! YAY:party018:

·
Registered
302 Posts
hmm maybe thats what my truck is doing mine has been running cool of late i will find out when i put head studs in my truck

·
cumminsforum.com
26,302 Posts
More times out of ten the t-stat is to blame...

But while your there and doing the work you might want to flush and change your coolant too...

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well im going to do it all when she runs 150000 miles and im almost there!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts