Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im over from the 12V side but my buddy needs some help. He took his SRT10 viper powered truck up and traided it in on a 2006 3500 megacab with the 5.9L and 6 speed stick. The truck pulls decent but falls on its face around 2300 rpm. Heading out of town up a VERY slight grade with his foot to the floor in 6th gear the truck will only pull 75mph and 2300 rpm. You can lift your foot off the throttle about 2 or 3 inches and the engine doesnt respond at all. Also when you push the clutch in and floor it, the engine revs to 3400 or so but when you let off the gas the engine remains at 3400 for a few seconds, like 5 or 6. It acts as if its in a valet mode or something, but the dealership said nothing about it having a programmer in it. Back to town downhill the truck will eventually reach 90mph, but it takes a while. My buddy is way bummed out, but I told him the guys on the forum will help us figure this out. Any Ideas??

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Almost forgot, He put a brand new K&N filter in it and also put a power puck in it borrowed from a friends mega cab and it didnt make one ounce of difference in the way the truck ran. Very discouraging.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Dam that sux, Tell him to get a programmer. I'm shocked no one else has chimed in yet, mabye everyone is still looking for that last easter egg that is still hid in the yard.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ha-ha! Thanks for the responce. Does this sound like normal power output for this truck? I was expecting more, maybe thats why god made the aftermarket.:confused013:

·
Registered
411 Posts
something doesnt sound right. I have a megacab, and mine hauls azz, no complaints about the power. But mine is an automatic, so dunno if the manual transmission trucks are different. That hanging high rpm throttle would concern me personally.

·
I wanna go fast...
3,475 Posts
If the puck makes NO difference, may be a rail sensor not correct or a MAP sensor problem. Any gauges? Starscan? Diablo predator will also read a lot of items.

·
Registered
698 Posts
yeah mine runs strong in the stock tune, i will do a burnout really easily and hit the speed limiter pretty quickly at 108mph. Take it to the dealership and have them reflash the computer with a new stock tune. Maybe somebody who owned it before had a super economy tune loaded up and didn't take it out when they traded it in. Has he changed the fuel filters? No check engine lights or codes? That seems crazy, he should notice a difference with the power puck too. The puck was for the right model for his 06 right? Because they have different ones for the 03-early 04 and different ones for the 04.5 and up 5.9.

·
Banned
5,596 Posts
Try downshifting a gear when towing a hill.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I also have an 06 Mega Cab and it hauls a$$. I have done quit a bit though. But, when it was stock it still ran really well. It is an automatic trannsmission, that shouldnt matter though. Check out my vids from Phoenix a month ago.
There on You tube under nwtdiesel 12.6 and 12.3 mega cab.:headbang:

·
World Champs!!!
24,829 Posts
Well first off, obviously that truck will definately feel slower than his old SRT10!

But thats not even remotely how it should be running. I will say it sounds like mine when I had Smarty on lvl 0. Id have it floored and barely accelerate and could lift my foot an easy 2 inches before it would react...take it to a dealer and see if theres something on it already or maybe they can flash it.

·
ICC Advertising Director
930 Posts
Im over from the 12V side but my buddy needs some help. He took his SRT10 viper powered truck up and traided it in on a 2006 3500 megacab with the 5.9L and 6 speed stick. The truck pulls decent but falls on its face around 2300 rpm. Heading out of town up a VERY slight grade with his foot to the floor in 6th gear the truck will only pull 75mph and 2300 rpm.
My truck is still basically stock except a straight pipe and has the g56 like your friends. At 2300 on a slight grade that truck should be taking off like rocket not falling on its face. somewhere around 2000 is where my truck is finally getting the turbo to full spool.

I'd would hook a scanner and see if you tell any thing about any issues with sensors. Can you hear the turbo spool at all?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great responses!!! Thank you all so much! He hasnt changed the filter yet, the truck has 49,000 on it. The puck was correect for the truck. We have a friend with a Predator so maybe after we change the filter we can hook up to it and see what happens. Like I said, i just feel bad for him, he has driven my Chummins and I think he had high expectations for his Mega. Hopefully its something easy, he dropped alot of cash on this truck. Thanks again you guys!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts