Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My dad's '02 2500, 24 valve auto has no power. He said it started acting up when they went to the ultra low sulfer diesel. no codes. I seen the thread for cleaning the prescreen on a 12 valve and took the lift pump off to clean but the screen in it was very clean. When the key gets turned on the lift pump stays on for about 25 second wich is normal, any suggestions. I am getting used to turbos on my car but a deisel setup is way different. I am going to clean the iat and map sensor, do I just clean the connections or take the sensor out and clean that part too? thanks

·
Premium Member
2,348 Posts
What pressure is the lift pump pushing at, if it is a bad lift then the injection is coming soon. I think you want the pressure to be around 15psi at idle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I read somewhere that the lift pump should stay on for around 25 seconds when the starter is bumped and it should pump about 48 oz. I unplugged the fuel outlet from the lift pump and had it squirt into a 2 liter bottle and it filled it up over the label on the bottle. Does anybody know if when break-boosting the wastegate actuator will move? we tried I think to about 2300 rpms and it didnt budge, might not be building enough boost by then though. I had origionally checked the codes when I had the lift pump off so I erased all codes when I put it back on, but anyway It has two codes. 216 I think and a 1693?? 216 is injector pump timing one and 1693 isa not in the book but I did see it on this site somewhere.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It sounds like it needs a new injector pump, is there anyway to test it to make sure? I also seen a rebuild kit for the vp44 would it be worth it? $50.00 is alot better than a over a grand. thanks

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
You should take the truck to a diesel injection shop that carries Bosch injection parts and have them test it. the 216 code is injection pump timing failure, which means you need a new pump.

Ops

1 - 6 of 6 Posts